Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/19 23:29:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Formation of Apache Cassandra Publicity & Marketing Group

*Hello Cassandra Community!We are at a pivotal moment for the Cassandra
community, with the first Cassandra Summit in 7 years coming up on March
13th, and a major release coming later this year with Cassandra 5.0. It is
important that we come together to set the publicity strategy and direction
for these important moments, and that we work together to define how
Cassandra shows up across the technology industry.To achieve this, we are
proposing the formation of a Publicity & Marketing Working Group, and we
are requesting your participation.What is the Publicity & Marketing Working
Group?This is a working group open to community members who have the
insight and skills to help define Cassandra’s public narrative and
participate in our marketing strategy and execution. The group will meet
once a month for an hour to discuss important marketing topics. You can
find us on #cassandra-events. We also propose adding a mailing list,
marketing@cassandra.a.o, to handle day-to-day marketing needs and async
communication. Our publicity and marketing partners from Constantia - Molly
Monroy <mo...@constantia.io> and Melissa Logan <me...@constantia.io> -
will work with us to build this working group. What will this group be
responsible for?Our initial vision for this group is to accelerate how we
do marketing & publicity for Cassandra. We will refine and advance
Cassandra’s public perception of the tech industry, to show how Cassandra
has grown, innovated, and revitalized itself as a community. We will do
this through: - Participating in marketing strategy for major moments (in
particular, C* Summit in March and Cassandra 5.0 release later this year)-
Expanding our local meetup and events presence- Sourcing end-user case
studies for marketing and PR collateral- Making sure the Cassandra
community shows up at third-party events- Contributing content - from blogs
to documentation - to ensure we have a robust stream of content for our end
usersOur first two orders of business will be: 1. Jointly determine
operating model and governance, and get input and alignment on the above
goals/responsibilities. 2. Discuss marketing for Cassandra Summit,
primarily defining the news we will share at the event from the project
directly and from our sponsors. This is coming up quickly and we will need
community assistance to achieve our publicity goals. As this is a
community-driven group, please share ideas and feedback on the purpose of
this group and what we need to achieve. When is the meeting?We are
proposing the meetings take place on the 4th Wednesday of each month. We
will alternate times of the day to try to accommodate. We can adjust based
on member attendance.  - Jan, March, May, July, Sept, Nov.  - 4th Wed of
the month,  8a PT- Feb, April, June, August, October, Dec - 4th Wed of the
month, Wed 4p PTWe will create a centralized document to share and document
information about the working group, including meeting minutes, monthly
tasks, and priorities. Decisions will be discussed and finalized using the
project mailing list. Patrick*

Apache Cassandra Publicity & Marketing Group - Cassandra Summit Asks

Posted by Molly Monroy <mo...@constantia.io>.
Hello All: I will be supporting the publicity & marketing working group
along with my colleagues at Constantia, which partners with Cassandra for
publicity and marketing. For those of you I haven't met yet, I look forward
to working with you!

For our first order of business for this group ... We need your help
getting the word out about Cassandra Summit, which is right around the
corner. We have two immediate requests to help us inform a broader audience
about the event and the future of Cassandra. Details follow. More
information will be shared around onsite promotional guidance as we get
closer to the event.

Thanks in advance for your support, and feel free to reach out with any Qs.
We will also discuss these asks on our first marketing & publicity call Wed
at 8a PT
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=MDVoY3VucnMwaWViaXA1amFmdXAzcnN0dTYga2w5cHVoZ2s3cXRkdXFhdHRlOHRmZDVtcHNAZw&tmsrc=kl9puhgk7qtduqatte8tfd5mps%40group.calendar.google.com>(but
please don't wait on the call to happen to share word about the event!)

- Molly

Promote registration and build excitement for event:

   -

   ASK: Amplify event details via your company and personal social media
   channels

We need your help getting the word out about the event to your networks to
1) make sure we have as many folks in attendance as possible; 2) build a
strong level of excitement about the event within our community and with
communities around us. Can you amplify the details of the event on your
company and/or personal social networks now, and over the next few weeks? To
help with this, here is a social media cheat sheet with all the details
about the event, including key messages, suggested posts, and blog
templates. The more posts the better and the goal is a consistent stream of
content coming from the community each day. Reminder: early bird
registration ends 2/7.

   - Cassandra Summit social guidance
   <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=MDVoY3VucnMwaWViaXA1amFmdXAzcnN0dTYga2w5cHVoZ2s3cXRkdXFhdHRlOHRmZDVtcHNAZw&tmsrc=kl9puhgk7qtduqatte8tfd5mps%40group.calendar.google.com>

News Submission Process - help us create a robust publicity campaign:

   -

   ASK: submit any news your organization will announce at Cassandra Summit
   by Feb. 10

Cassandra Summit is a key publicity moment to announce project and
community news that will showcase our future. We will create a robust,
easy-to-access news package, inclusive of key foundation news and news from
organizations benefiting from Cassandra. This news package will be shared
with tech media, influencers and industry analysts, on behalf of the
project, to drive press coverage that positions Cassandra as the database
of the future.

   -

   Cassandra Summit: Call for Community News
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JCEuzr8t3J-exksSz6CNk5xU8U0kUhhdTeVMmcWp_9Q/edit>
   (Details on submission process)
   -

   Cassandra Summit News Submission Form
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OQQct8F12F85wzJvnaS0lht-kNFD2w-QHvmmLlAa_7M/edit#gid=0>(please
   save a unique copy and sent to molly@constantia.io)

Re: [DISCUSS] Formation of Apache Cassandra Publicity & Marketing Group

Posted by Molly Monroy <mo...@constantia.io>.
Hello all -

Thank you to everyone who joined our Publicity and Marketing Group kick off
meetings last month. We're excited to continue the conversation in March. *Our
next Apache Cassandra Publicity & Marketing Group meetings are coming up
this Wednesday, March 1 @ 8a PT (EMEA, UK, LATAM, NA) and March 15 @ 4p PT
(APAC).*

This is a working group open to community members who have the insight and
skills to help define Cassandra’s public narrative and participate in our
marketing strategy and execution. The group will meet monthly for an hour
to discuss important marketing topics (we host 2 separate meetings with a
shared agenda to accommodate timezones).

MEETING INVITE:
To join us, add the recurring meeting to your calendar here:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=N2FxdTNucWZ1NDNmcms1Y[…]puhgk7qtduqatte8tfd5mps%40group.calendar.google.com&scp=ALL
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=N2FxdTNucWZ1NDNmcms1YTB2anRpZm9mZHJfMjAyMzAzMDFUMTYwMDAwWiBrbDlwdWhnazdxdGR1cWF0dGU4dGZkNW1wc0Bn&tmsrc=kl9puhgk7qtduqatte8tfd5mps%40group.calendar.google.com&scp=ALL>

AGENDA:
Our working agenda is linked below. We will spend time discussing Cassandra
Forward, and other topics suggested by last month's attendees. This is
meant to be a collaborative agenda, so add suggested topics or ping me with
your ideas for this and upcoming meetings.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/8JtbDg

GET INVOLVED:
I'm sharing today's meeting reminder broadly since we are still in the
forming stages. We will be moving the conversation to our dedicated ML and
Slack group. Here's where to find us and how to get involved:

   - *Join our monthly meetings.* We meet the 1st Wed of the month at 8a PT
   and the 3rd Wed at 4p PT to accommodate timezones. Agendas are the same
   across the two meetings.
   - Find us on Slack at *#cassandra-events*
   - *Join our mailing list: marketing@cassandra.apache.org
   <ma...@cassandra.apache.org>**.* (Send an email to
   marketing-subscribe@cassandra.apache.org from the email address you want
   subscribed).
   - *Check out our meeting updates on Confluence.* If you are not able to
   join a meeting, we post detailed recaps here:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/YZZbDg

Look forward to seeing many of you at this month's meetings.

Molly

Posted by Molly Monroy <mo...@constantia.io>.
Hello all -

Posted by Molly Monroy <mo...@constantia.io>.
Hello all -

Posted by Molly Monroy <mo...@constantia.io>.

Posted by Molly Monroy <mo...@constantia.io>.

Posted by Craig Kitterman <cr...@datastax.com>.
+1!

--

Cheers,
-C

Re: [DISCUSS] Formation of Apache Cassandra Publicity & Marketing Group

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.
The meeting link I included should let you add it to your calendar. If not,
let me know.

Patrick

Posted by Aaron Ploetz <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Melissa Logan <me...@constantia.io>.
I appreciate the open and more structured approach to publicity & marketing
so everyone can provide input and for transparency.

I'm also happy to be a moderator.

--
Melissa Logan (she/her)
CEO & Founder, Constantia.io

Re: [DISCUSS] Formation of Apache Cassandra Publicity & Marketing Group

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.