Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Robert Purdy <rd...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/15 22:05:00 UTC

Performance question: Solr 64 bit java vs 32 bit mode.

Would anyone know if solr runs better in 64bit java vs 32 bit and could
answer another possible related question.

I currently have two servers running solr under identical tomcat
installations. One is the production server and is under heavy user load and
the other is under no load at all because it is a test box.

I was looking in the logs on the production server and noticed some queries
were taking about 15 seconds, and this is after auto-warming. So I decided
to execute that same query on the other server with nothing in the caches
and found that it only took 2 seconds to complete.

My question is why an Dual Intel Core Duo  Xserve server in 64 bit java mode
with 8GB of ram allocated to the tomcat server be slower than a Dual Power
PC G5 server running in 32 bit mode with only 2GB of ram allocated? Is it
because of the load/concurrrency issues on the production sever that made
the time next to the query in the log greater on the production server? If
so what is the best way to configure tomcat to deal with that issue?

Thanks Robert.

Re: Performance question: Solr 64 bit java vs 32 bit mode.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Nov 15, 2007 4:05 PM, Robert Purdy <rd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was looking in the logs on the production server and noticed some queries
> were taking about 15 seconds

Could be a number of reasons... first make sure a major garbage
collection wasn't triggered at that point in time.

-Yonik