Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io> on 2020/04/09 18:45:00 UTC

Re: [REQUEST] Squash merge please

I’ve noticed quite a few PRs in the last week that were merged with “Merge” rather than “Squash and Merge”.

While the community consensus was to continue to allow all merge options, please try to default to “Squash and Merge” whenever you can to keep history as linear as possible. GitHub will save the last method you used in a cookie, which helps, but then it’s easy to miss when it resets itself back to the default of “Merge” some months later because you cleared cookies, changed browsers, etc.

Re: Fw: [DISCUSS] Rebase and Squash Options on Github develop

Posted by Aaron Lindsey <al...@vmware.com>.
+1 to keep only "Squash and merge" and "Rebase and merge".

Aaron Lindsey

From: Blake Bender <bb...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, June 28, 2021 at 2:24 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
+1, only because I only get one vote.  Merge commits in develop are a scourge, IMO, and should be avoided in almost all instances.

Blake

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>.
I for one do not like revisionist history (rebase) but understand that linear history is easier for bisect.

From: Blake Bender <bb...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, June 28, 2021 at 2:24 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

________________________________

Sounds like a good idea. I can't find any example of an intentional merge commit on develop...but plenty of accidental ones.

Upon releases we do a command line merge commit to the main trunk, which should still be fine as this proposal only applies to PRs.

I agree with still allowing rebase commits. I have seen several PRs use them to good effect.

You can disable merge commits through .asf.yaml, so changing the setting is as easy as opening a PR (and, if we don't like it, reverting is just as easy)

---
Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhatisworkspaceone.com%2Fboxer&amp;data=04%7C01%7Crhoughton%40vmware.com%7C28d3ef66dcbd4a012c2708d93a7b1fae%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637605122768804796%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=%2B7O6XEhmT%2B%2BYUvSWB1Oo8x7EWeR0QXQJbmX%2FXi5yAjQ%3D&amp;reserved=0>

Posted by Blake Bender <bb...@vmware.com>.

Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhatisworkspaceone.com%2Fboxer&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cbblake%40vmware.com%7C066ef87d04274938120e08d93a7aca8c%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637605121332992373%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=py04h%2Bho30POoZjPcBeuVtp%2FeeSYylGtSTGbN9%2FLylM%3D&amp;reserved=0>

Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhatisworkspaceone.com%2Fboxer&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cdoevans%40vmware.com%7Cef26879ce10c4d1723aa08d93a703283%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637605075839553972%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=sv2SivfEegOYY3p3NnJT85On%2FqT8l8X5%2BwXySPNEKFo%3D&amp;reserved=0>

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@vmware.com>.
Looking at the positive feedback, to this, I am skipping the red tape of creating a separate vote thread. The PR has been created and reviewed.[1]

Regards,
Nabarun

[1] https://github.com/apache/geode/pull/6661

________________________________

Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhatisworkspaceone.com%2Fboxer&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cnnag%40vmware.com%7C7bf2d2f76d0b4178ced608d93b18d831%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637605800176784198%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=gm1WMtsbaSzCffY84dCjCEgNSSezeROj24bVWupCQoo%3D&amp;reserved=0>

Posted by Darrel Schneider <da...@vmware.com>.
+1
________________________________

Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhatisworkspaceone.com%2Fboxer&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cdarrel%40vmware.com%7Cb606c0b76cde45a6544b08d93b0c784e%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637605747017170771%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=fN3%2FKtamPVe6HVQqn%2BREi2n%2BP1iQPRtadol6w3xl%2F3I%3D&amp;reserved=0>

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@vmware.com>.
+1 For Naba’s proposal

From: Joris Melchior <jm...@vmware.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 7:40 AM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
+1 for Naburan’s proposed options.

Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhatisworkspaceone.com%2Fboxer&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cjdeppe%40vmware.com%7C6fa6793b726442ef3a0808d93b0be198%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C1%7C637605744486487010%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=u2ACIO9HM1BRNpKUpALLp0UtW2vJnioIPqjEvD79f1c%3D&amp;reserved=0>

Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhatisworkspaceone.com%2Fboxer&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cjmelchior%40vmware.com%7C9d91cbfd72dd431f164a08d93a703563%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637605075886246400%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=ECvN2VaHpuI3XPq6C2pjue8rHmJetmrOzMPqhgKxfPI%3D&amp;reserved=0>

Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://whatisworkspaceone.com/boxer>

Re: [DISCUSS] Rebase and Squash Options on Github develop

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

> On Jun 28, 2021, at 12:38 PM, Nabarun Nag <nn...@vmware.com> wrote:
>

> I would like to propose to that we set the GitHub setting on develop PR to rebase and squash buttons.

Does this proposal remove the option to “Rebase and Merge?

Fw: [DISCUSS] Rebase and Squash Options on Github develop