Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2001/01/23 05:08:48 UTC

Re: Missing Something

Tim Sheridan wrote:

>  I think I have a good understanding of how to incorporate STRUTS in my JSPs.
> The problem I'm having is with the Action Servlet Mapping. My goal is to keep
> my JSPs small in size so I have one (session) bean that is populated from form
> properties from eash JSP (a total of 5 in all). My web.xml has the Servlet
> Mapping defined as:
>
>   <servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern>/webapp/*.do</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>

Well, one problem you are going to have is that this is not a valid URL pattern
for a servlet mapping.  If you want to use extension mapping (as the example app
does), you will want to use "*.do" instead of "/webapp/*.do".

> All my form action attributes have ".do" extension and the same form bean
> name. The action.xml is configured as:
>
> <action-mappings>
>
>   <!-- Global Forward Declarations -->
>   <forward name="introduction"        path="/SpcIntroduction.jsp"/>
>
>   <!-- Process test -->
>   <action    path="/introduction"
>       actionClass="request.spc.SpcRequestAction"
>     formAttribute="spcRequest"
>         formClass="request.spc.SpcRequestForm"
>         inputForm="/SpcIntroduction.jsp">
>     <forward name="next"    path="/SpcInformation.jsp"/>
>   </action>
>   <action    path="/information"
>       actionClass="request.spc.SpcRequestAction"
>     formAttribute="spcRequest"
>         formClass="request.spc.SpcRequestForm"
>         inputForm="/SpcInformation.jsp">
>     <forward name="next"    path="/SpcSchedule.jsp"/>
>   </action>
>   <action    path="/schedule"
>       actionClass="request.spc.SpcRequestAction"
>     formAttribute="spcRequest"
>         formClass="request.spc.SpcRequestForm"
>         inputForm="/SpcSchedule.jsp">
>     <forward name="next"    path="/SpcMessage.jsp"/>
>   </action>
>   <action    path="/message"
>       actionClass="request.spc.SpcRequestAction"
>     formAttribute="spcRequest"
>         formClass="request.spc.SpcRequestForm"
>         inputForm="/SpcMessage.jsp">
>     <forward name="next"    path="/SpcConfirmation.jsp"/>
>   </action>
>   <action    path="/confirmation"
>       actionClass="request.spc.SpcRequestAction"
>     formAttribute="spcRequest"
>         inputForm="/SpcConfirmation.jsp"
>         formClass="request.spc.SpcRequestForm">
>     <!--forward name="next"    path="/SpcConfirmation.jsp"/-->
>   </action>
>
> </action-mappings>
>
> When I run with this configuration locally using Tomcat 3.2.1, everything
> seems to work okay when going to the "next" page (yet the browser always shows
> the ".do" name of the form). But when I transfer the pages and this
> configuration to my Servlet hosting website, the server can never find the
> "next" page and can't resolve finding "introduction.do".
>
> I am missing something here. Please give me some expert advice on how to make
> this work properly both locally and live, and how to make the ".jsp" appear in
> the browser URL area for all my pages. TIA

Besides the invalid servlet mapping, if you are just getting started with Struts
I would strongly encourage you to use one of the recent nightly builds, rather
than the Struts 0.5 release.  They are quite solid, and there are a
*substantial* number of incompatible API changes.  A final release of 1.0 will
happen fairly soon, and you will save yourself a major conversion headache if
you make the switch before you start coding, rather than after.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Missing Something

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
John Raley wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
>
> >there are a *substantial* number of incompatible API changes.
>
> Is there a conversion guide out there?  I poked around the site a little
> and didn't see one.
>
> Thanks,
> John

The "Release Notes (1.0)" document on the website is not up to date, but
contains quite a few of the changes.  In addition, Pierre Metras has reported
extensively on his experiences converting on STRUTS-USER, which you can find in
the archives.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Missing Something

Posted by John Raley <jo...@moonlight.com>.