Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Kate Gray <ka...@aboveandbeyond.aero> on 2019/10/26 21:36:48 UTC

[LOG4PHP] Abandoned? Contributing?

Hello,

Has log4php been abandoned?

Looking at the log4php site, I can see that there's a lot of outdated information.

Installation suggests using the PEAR channel, but that was shut down:

https://logging.apache.org/log4php/install.html
http://apache-logging.6191.n7.nabble.com/NOTICE-pear-apache-org-is-being-shut-down-April-20th-2017-td75208.html

An issue about this has been open for over two years.

I tried to subscribe to the mailing list for log4php using the information provided, but that informs me that the list is shut down and migrated to this one.

I'm going through the issues and going to comment where I can - I have time and am willing to help.  If there's anything I can do to help keep this component (and the documentation) updated, I'd be glad to help where I can.

Kate Gray
[NOTICE] pear.apache.org is being shut down, April 20th 2017.<http://apache-logging.6191.n7.nabble.com/NOTICE-pear-apache-org-is-being-shut-down-April-20th-2017-td75208.html>
[NOTICE] pear.apache.org is being shut down, April 20th 2017. Hi folks, as the subject says, we'll be shutting down pear.apache.org in about 30 days from now. There is no immediate replacement...
apache-logging.6191.n7.nabble.com

Re: [LOG4PHP] Abandoned? Contributing?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Hello Kate,

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019, at 06:46, Kate Gray wrote:
> As I said, I'd be glad to.   I started working on getting log4php
> working properly for PHP 7, as PHP5 is end of life, and no longer
> updated.

I am one of the original developers of Log4php (at Apache). Unfortunately, I had not time to keep on going with Log4php development in the past time. Same goes for Ivan, who did a lot of work with Log4php as well.

I would love to assist you as much as I can and maybe I am able to flesh out some time too.

Please note that we have started two efforts before we run out of time.

First, we have been starting to add namespaces for preparing a v3:
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4php/tree/v3

Second, we have discussed to support the Logging PSR:
https://www.php-fig.org/psr/psr-3/

If you are up for it, I think we should look at the v3 specically and try to update it to run with php7.
Also maybe add the PSR support there.

What do you think? I will follow any discussions dev@ more closely not, looking for log4php tags.

Thanks for stepping in!

Kind regards,