Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2005/04/05 19:33:57 UTC

[Announce] Eclipse Lepido, and opensource IDE for Apache Cocoon

Folks,

I'm very pleased to announce the creation of the Eclipse Lepido project
[1], which aims at building an opensource tooling for Apache Cocoon
based on the Eclipse platform.

The purpose of Lepido is both to help newcomers to more easily get
started, and to bring a number of tools to be more productive in writing
applications. Wizards, editors, debugger, etc.

The project is hosted at Eclipse, and starts in the proposal phase. In
the Eclipse process, this is a period of about one month where people
can discuss the opportunity, goals and wishes regarding this project.
Once this period successfully terminates, the real work can start.

A newsgroup [2] should be created shortly for these discussions, which
your are warmly invited to join (registration required [3]).

The project will be bootstrapped by the donation of Anyware
Technologies' Eclipse plugins for Cocoon [4]. These plugins include
form-driven graphical editors for the sitemap and form definition files.

As you can read at the end of the proposal, a number of Cocoon oldtimers
have offered to join and participate to this new great adventure. It is
important that Lepido really becomes a community-owned tool just like
Cocoon is a community-owned framework.

So if you have both a good Cocoon knowledge and some Eclipse plugin
development skills, don't hesitate to join too! Now you know why I made
this poll [4] :-)

See you soon there,
Sylvain

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-lepido/index.html
[2] news://news.eclipse.org/eclipse.technology.lepido
[3] http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/main.html
[4]
http://www.anyware-tech.com/en/developper/EclipsePlugins/SitemapEditor.html

Re: [Announce] Eclipse Lepido, and opensource IDE for Apache Cocoon

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 13:53 +0200, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 19:33 +0200, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >

> >>[Announce] Eclipse Lepido
> >>

> >Hello Sylvain,
> >
> >nice to hear you are planing this project but did you know that in
> >forrest.apache.org we host already a similar tool?
> >
> >Have a look at
> >http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/tools/eclipse/
> >
> >You wrote that your project is starting in the proposal phase, you may
> >consider using the forrest/eclipse plugin and helping to enhance it in
> >forrest.apache.org. That would allow you a quick start with community
> >and code. ;-)
> >

> Wow, didn't knew about this Forrest plugin. AFAICS it seems to have some
> common roots with Burrokeet (http://www.burrokeet.org/).

Yeah, Ross is the main head on burrokeet and as well Forrest committer.

> >We, speaking for the forrest project, will happily welcome you (and
> >everybody else) and help you creating the project here on apache. Maybe
> >as subproject of forrest/cocoon. Of course you can go ahead with your
> >original plan and use the above mentioned code (it's open source ;-) )
> >as starting point if you want.
> >

> IMO, Apache is not the right place for an IDE as Apache focuses on
> server and infrastructure software. Furthermore, the Lepido's goals go
> very far in the IDE features, and therefore require different skills
> than those needed to develop the server-side framework. That's what led
> us to propose this project to the Eclipse folks.
>
> Sylvain

Yeah, I understand. I am right now trying out the Anyway plugins. :)

Cheers again for releasing the code and all the best for the Lepido
project.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [Announce] Eclipse Lepido, and opensource IDE for Apache Cocoon

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
On Vie, 8 de Abril de 2005, 7:10, Sylvain Wallez dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>>Hi Thorsten,
>>
>>they (anyware) already have a lot of code. See (download and try):
>>
>>http://www.anyware-tech.com/en/developper/EclipsePlugins/Download.html
>>
>>AFAIK, this is the code being released for lepido.
>>

> Exactly.
>
>>Currently, it is based on cocoon 2.1.5 and tomcat 4.1.29.
>>

> This is only the "Cocoon start" plugin, which really isn't the central
> part of our donation to Eclipse. The main part of it is the editors and,
> more importantly, the AXE platform (currently meaning "Anyware XML
> Editor" but should be renamed to something like "Advanced XML editor")
> which is a XUL-like system to build form-oriented editors.

XUL => Yum! I cannot wait to see the code!

>>The eclipse plugin looks fine. I
>>already downloaded it and played a little with it. But a good docos are
>>needed to get more into.
>
> Yup. You'll be able to write them as part of the Lepido effort :-P

8-)

Do you have something in docos or there is nothing at all?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: [Announce] Eclipse Lepido, and opensource IDE for Apache Cocoon

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Hi Thorsten,

they (anyware) already have a lot of code. See (download and try):

http://www.anyware-tech.com/en/developper/EclipsePlugins/Download.html

AFAIK, this is the code being released for lepido. Currently, it is based
on cocoon 2.1.5 and tomcat 4.1.29. The eclipse plugin looks fine. I
already downloaded it and played a little with it. But a good docos are
needed to get more into.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

On Jue, 7 de Abril de 2005, 15:06, Thorsten Scherler dijo:

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> As you can read at the end of the proposal, a number of Cocoon oldtimers
> have offered to join and participate to this new great adventure.

Geez ...now we are already oldtimers? ;o)

But seriously: Great stuff! Thanks to Anyware
and looking forward seeing this to take off!

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [Announce] Eclipse Lepido, and opensource IDE for Apache Cocoon

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 01:06 -0600, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> On Jue, 7 de Abril de 2005, 11:11, Nouguier Olivier dijo:
> > So happppppppppppppppy,
> >   Where could I learn more on AXE?
>
> Try:
>
> http://www.anyware-tech.com/en/developper/EclipsePlugins/Download.html
>
> Best Regards,

Cheers Antonio,

I just had a quick look and it seems to really nice. I will give a
go. :)

salu2

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Posted by Nouguier Olivier <ol...@wanadoo.fr>.
So happppppppppppppppy,

http://www.orcades.net

Re: [Announce] Eclipse Lepido, and opensource IDE for Apache Cocoon

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.