Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Pierce <Jo...@seagram.com> on 2000/09/12 17:33:14 UTC

Re:RE: Case Sensitivity in URLs (was RE: BugRat Report #92 w

>>Fact is if you "get your
>>way" with issue it's going to cause porblems for me later when I have to
>>port your ".war" to UNIX, Netware or AS400, all of which run Tomcat, btw.

I don't see how case-insensitive content in war files will cause portability
problems. If your environment is case-sensitive, it will continue to serve
case-insensitive content ignoring the content case.

Also,

I am more concerned about the servlet context part of the path being
case-insensitive since that is the part of the path that may be typed by the
user or the installer as the base of a relative path.

Jonathan

Re: Case Sensitivity in URLs (was RE: BugRat Report #92 w

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Jonathan Pierce wrote:

> >>Fact is if you "get your
> >>way" with issue it's going to cause porblems for me later when I have to
> >>port your ".war" to UNIX, Netware or AS400, all of which run Tomcat, btw.
>
> I don't see how case-insensitive content in war files will cause portability
> problems. If your environment is case-sensitive, it will continue to serve
> case-insensitive content ignoring the content case.

Consider that you have two JSP pages in the top-level "directory" of the WAR
file:

    /index.jsp
    /menu.jsp

and your "index.jsp" page has a link like this in it:

This would work as expected on a case insensitive platform (assuming that the
proposed change were made), but would return "file not found" errors on a case
sensitive platform.  Thus, the WAR file is not portable.

Going the other direction is not a problem, unless you happen to use two
different filenames that differ only in case -- which seems to be a quite rare
occurrence.

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat