Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/17 06:26:07 UTC

Apache Flex: Digitally Signing Air Applications

Hi,

As the first release of Apache Flex is being worked on, we are planning to
put out an installer application written in Flex + AIR as a convenience
utility.  This page
http://people.apache.org/~bigosmallm/installapacheflex/lets you
download a binary file which is the installer.

Should the installer be signed in the same way as the Apache Flex SDK
binary is signed?  The process for signing AIR apps is described here
[1<http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=distributing_apps_4.html>]
How do we do this in the Apache way?

[1]
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=distributing_apps_4.html

Thanks,
Om
Apache Flex PPMC Member

Re: Apache Flex: Digitally Signing Air Applications

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <om...@gmail.com>.

http://markmail.org/thread/eggrgs42a5idjyxc#query:+page:1+mid:s3srogtcgomskn3d+state:results
.

> > I understand that when we promote it for the actual release, it should
be
> > downloaded only from the mirrors.
> >
> > Please let me know if the
> > people.apache.org/~bigosmallm/installapacheflex/page should not be
> > used for the purpose of testing of the installers by the
> > flex-dev developers, I will take it down right away.
>
> Testing for developers is fine, but for any live/production/release/etc
> it should never be pointed at people.a.o for anything, not even an html
> page with embdedded swf file that points you away to elsewhere.

Got it!

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Tony Stevenson <pc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <pc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
sebb wrote on Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 02:00:05 +0100:
> On 18 July 2012 01:46, Om <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>wrote:
> >
> >> PGP-sign it as well, then.  That's the standard way all artifacts are
> >> signed (and centrally verified).
> >>

> > To be clear, are you suggesting that I sign it twice, once using the AIR
> > signing process and then sign that artifact using the PGP-sign process?
> > Can you please point me to to some documentation for PGP-signing
> > artifacts?  Is this typically done by the Release Manager, or can any
> > committer do this for a release?
> >

> >> For future reference infra-dev@ is a public list, why didn't you CC
> >> flex-dev@?
> >>

> > Apologies for the confusion.  I was told by our PPMC mentor, Dave Fisher
> > (cc-ing him here) that infra-dev is a private list.
>
> One way to check this in future is to look at the mailing lists available here:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/
>
> That URL is available to all so all the lists shown there are public.

And vice-versa, i.e., all public lists are on that page.  (provided they
have been posted to at least once)

Re: Apache Flex: Digitally Signing Air Applications

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 17, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Om wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> PGP-sign it as well, then.  That's the standard way all artifacts are
> signed (and centrally verified).
>

> To be clear, are you suggesting that I sign it twice, once using the AIR signing process and then sign that artifact using the PGP-sign process?  Can you please point me to to some documentation for PGP-signing artifacts?  Is this typically done by the Release Manager, or can any committer do this for a release?
>
> For future reference infra-dev@ is a public list, why didn't you CC flex-dev@?
>
> Apologies for the confusion.  I was told by our PPMC mentor, Dave Fisher (cc-ing him here) that infra-dev is a private list.

And I gather I was confused. My apologies.

The PGP signature is detached from the artifact. We can restart this on flex-dev.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.