Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/24 05:44:04 UTC

Help using assembly-plugin

I am evaluating the usage the maven-assembly-plugin for building
Geronimo's distribution jars and have some questions regarding it's
usage. I'd appreciate help from maven developers and users familiar
with this plugin.

assembly:assembly goal
------------------------------------

1) Can I use variables like ${project.build.directory} in the descriptor xml ?

2) When copying files in a <fileSet> is it possible to copy them
flattened ? Into one single directory without the path ? This would be
really useful.

3) When I unpack jars using <dependencySet> is it possible to exclude
certain files or extract only certain files (like the patternset in
ant) ? The current workaround is to unpack them in a temp junk
directory and then use <fileset> to selectively include/exclude files
to the correct dir. This kinda works but it also zips up the temp junk
dir too.  It would be nice if the <dependencySet> had a <temp> flag.
Setting this boolean would copy/unpack the jars to some temp dir of
the plugin's choosing. The plugin would never include this temp dir
into the final zip.

It would also be nice if the <fileset> also supported the <unpack> feature.

Thanx in advance
Prasad

Re: Help using assembly-plugin

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.

 Yes see http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-40

2) When copying files in a <fileSet> is it possible to copy them
> flattened ? Into one single directory without the path ? This would be
> really useful.

   No

3) When I unpack jars using <dependencySet> is it possible to exclude
> certain files or extract only certain files (like the patternset in
> ant) ? The current workaround is to unpack them in a temp junk
> directory and then use <fileset> to selectively include/exclude files
> to the correct dir. This kinda works but it also zips up the temp junk
> dir too.  It would be nice if the <dependencySet> had a <temp> flag.
> Setting this boolean would copy/unpack the jars to some temp dir of
> the plugin's choosing. The plugin would never include this temp dir
> into the final zip.

You have to work around it, hope you do use dependency-maven-plugin for the
work around