Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 1998/09/30 09:46:56 UTC

Win32 / DevStudio stuff: Question

We've now ported mod_ssl to the Win32 platform (I hated every minute I was
forced to work with VC++ and was such happy to be alte to return Unix/GCC now
again ;-). Only one thing is missing: The integration of the modules/ssl/
stuff into the DevStudio .dsp/.mak files. As a workaround we patched directly
the .mak files. But as Marc recently explained this is incorrect, of course.

So, I tried to add it the correct way to the .dsp files, but....
Ok, I'd to confess: I'm too stupid for this. Yesterday
I tried:

"msdev ApacheCore.dsp" -> Error: file was not created with DevStudio (haha)
"msdev ApacheCore.mak" -> Loads, but then?

Even in the GUI I cannot find where I can edit those "ADD .." lines of the
.dsp files. As I said, either I or the GUI is too stupid. So, here
are my two questions:

1. What is the _correct_ GUI way to add /DMOD_SSL, /I<path_to_ssleay>
   and <path_to_ssleay>/libssleay.lib to the .dsp files?

2. Can I patch the .dsp files in batch and then re-created the
   .mak files through a batch-able DevStudio call? This would be my preferred
   approach. Something like "msdev /convert x.dsp x.mak" or whatever.

Please help a Unix-only hacker on his fight with the Win32 platform...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com

Re: Win32 / DevStudio stuff: Question

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> We've now ported mod_ssl to the Win32 platform (I hated every minute I was
> forced to work with VC++ and was such happy to be alte to return Unix/GCC now
> again ;-). Only one thing is missing: The integration of the modules/ssl/
> stuff into the DevStudio .dsp/.mak files. As a workaround we patched directly
> the .mak files. But as Marc recently explained this is incorrect, of course.
>
> So, I tried to add it the correct way to the .dsp files, but....
> Ok, I'd to confess: I'm too stupid for this. Yesterday
> I tried:
>
> "msdev ApacheCore.dsp" -> Error: file was not created with DevStudio (haha)

Ahhh, a Unix developer hacking on Win32, using Unix look-alike tools no
doubt. DevStudio is not recognizing the .dsp file because it is missing
the carriage-return line-feed (CRLF) pair at the end of each line (only
contains LF). How did you get the source over to your windows box? If I
tar up source on a Unix box and untar it on Windows (gnu tar), I see
this problem. Anonymous cvs extract directly to the windows box and I
don't see the problem.

--
Bill Stoddard
stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com

RE: Win32 / DevStudio stuff: Question

Posted by Ken Parzygnat <kp...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Once you followed Bill's instructions to get the .dsp loaded:

> 1. What is the _correct_ GUI way to add /DMOD_SSL, /I<path_to_ssleay>
>    and <path_to_ssleay>/libssleay.lib to the .dsp files?

Go to the menu and click Project->Settings.  On the dialog that appears, click
the "C/C++" tab.  On that panel, in the "Category" drop down box, select
"Preprocessor".

Before making any entries, be sure the correct project is highlighted in the
left panel.  You'll also want to set the "Settings for:" drop down (you'll probably
want "All Configurations".

Now you can enter "MOD_SSL" to the end of the "Preprocessor definitions"
(comma separated), and <path_to_ssleay> to the "Additional include directories".
Click OK once all the changes are done.

> 2. Can I patch the .dsp files in batch and then re-created the
>    .mak files through a batch-able DevStudio call? This would be my preferred
>    approach. Something like "msdev /convert x.dsp x.mak" or whatever.

Not a good idea to patch the .dsp files.  You can mess things up, and if Apache
moves to DevStudio 6.0, the format of the .dsp is different.  The best thing to
do is to use the GUI.  Once you've made the changes, you can create a new .mak
file by clicking Project->Export Makefile.  I don't believe there is a command
line way to do this export.

Hope this helps!
Ken Parzygnat
email: kparz@raleigh.ibm.com