Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Leif Frederiksen <lf...@guideix.dk> on 2002/11/06 13:28:25 UTC

Showing FO output

In order to debug some code, I would like to see the result of the
XML+XSLT tranformation, not the result of the rendering. Can I make FOP
do this?

Leif Frederiksen

Re: Showing FO output

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Leif Frederiksen wrote:

> In order to debug some code, I would like to see the result of the
> XML+XSLT tranformation, not the result of the rendering. Can I make FOP
> do this?

Actually FOP processes exactly xsl-fo, not xml+xslt, so what you need is not
FOP, but usual xslt processor.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

Re: Showing FO output

Posted by Marko Petersen <lg...@rzserv2.fhnon.de>.
At 23:27 06.11.2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>I'm going a step further and I'm thinking about providing a development
>>tool for FOP.
>
>I'm looking forward to this.
>
>For the subject at hand, however, I think a
>  fop -xml foo.xml -xsl foo.xsl -fo foo.fo
>would do, and I hope I can get this even in the next
>maintenance release.
>
>J.Pietschmann

I agree, this could be helpful. I think I can remember (but not for sure)
that there was such an implementation in fop 0.15.
I often asked me: What was the reason to remove this feature?

Marko

Re: Showing FO output

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I'm going a step further and I'm thinking about providing a development
> tool for FOP. We've developed a simple one at work where we could
> specify either FO or XML/xSLT file and an output format (FO, PDF, PS etc.).
> Then we have that big "Process" button that runs the document through
> Xalan and FOP. The configuration is saved when you exit, but at the
> moment we don't have multiple profiles. I've got a few good ideas about
> an improved tool in this direction. It would also be a good project for
> someone who'd like to contribute to the FOP project but doesn't want to
> go to the depths. I can elaborate if anyone is interested.

I agree with you, I was thinking about it too. btw, I found an interesting
mail in the xsl-list archive back to 1999 from James Tauber about his vision
of FOP's future[1]:
"To give a little insight into my *long term* vision for FOP. Eventually, I
would like to put a GUI interface on top to allow exactly this kind of human
fine-tuning. The FOP engine does an initial layout and then a human can
override line/column/page breaks, hyphenation, kerning, etc., saving back as
formatting objects again."
Well, but 1.0dev certanly is higher in the task list.

[1] http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/199905/msg00504.html

Re: Showing FO output

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Showing FO output

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I'm going a step further and I'm thinking about providing a development
tool for FOP. We've developed a simple one at work where we could
specify either FO or XML/xSLT file and an output format (FO, PDF, PS etc.).
Then we have that big "Process" button that runs the document through
Xalan and FOP. The configuration is saved when you exit, but at the
moment we don't have multiple profiles. I've got a few good ideas about
an improved tool in this direction. It would also be a good project for
someone who'd like to contribute to the FOP project but doesn't want to
go to the depths. I can elaborate if anyone is interested.

Anyway, if anyone does some work in this direction, I have a few points
I'd like to make:
- It would be good, if the AWT viewer would be separated into a viewer
  component (just the panel to display the AWT output) and the
  ready-to-use preview frame as it exists today. That may make it easier
  to embedd FOP in a Swing application if the previewer is not exactly
  what somebody wants.
- Every debugging/developer-oriented feature should also be separated
  from the above components so we don't limit their uses.

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:56:52 +0200 Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Leif Frederiksen wrote:
>
> > In order to debug some code, I would like to see the result of the
> > XML+XSLT tranformation, not the result of the rendering. Can I make FOP
> > do this?
>
> btw, I was thinking about implementing such a functionality (view fo source)
> in FOP's awt viewer, but I was not sure anybody need it, so I left that idea.
> What are FOP users opinions, is it needed?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Showing FO output

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Re: Showing FO output

Posted by Marko Petersen <lg...@rzserv2.fhnon.de>.
Hi,

just use your XSLT processor (for example XALAN, see
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/commandline.html).

Marko