Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com> on 2009/02/26 17:37:51 UTC

RE: Apache HTTPD segfaults w/ mod_perl 1.0

Karsten Kroesch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm running an Apache 1.3.39 with mod_perl 1.0 freshly compiled by
> myself on Solaris 10 (The Perl application I'm dealing with, refused
> to work on Apache 2.x and mod_perl 2, though using compat. mode).
>
> The application seems to work fine in the first place, but then
> showed some odd behaviour. The error_log says: "[notice] child pid
> 14240 exit signal Segmentation Fault (11), possible coredump in
> /etc/httpd" and when I enabled core dumping, I see the stack trace
> attached below. I cannot see whether a script is causing the failure.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint where to search for the reason? Is it the
> fault of a script or the mod_perl lib itself?
>
> Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance!
>
> Karsten
>
> -------8<--------------
>
> bash-3.00# pstack core.httpd.14240
> core 'core.httpd.14240' of 14240:       /opt/apache-1.3.39/bin/httpd
>  -DSSL 001322e4 Perl_av_undef (0, 1, a696c, 12ff24, 20bdf8, fef71414)
>  + 4 0005a634

What version of perl are you using? If its 5.10.x then from your stack
trace I would guess that you've been bitten by the bug that was fixed
here:

Unfortunately, that was committed just after mod_perl-1.30 was released
and 1.31 still hasn't been released yet. Try manually applying that
change to your mod_perl source and rebuilding it (or else get the
current dev version from SVN).

RESOLVED: Apache HTTPD segfaults w/ mod_perl 1.0

Posted by Karsten Kroesch <Ka...@trivadis.com>.
The fix mentioned below works for me; additionally, nasty segfaults (plus core dumps) when restarting httpd have gone. The Perl version used by me is 5.10.0.

Have a good day!

  Karsten