Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Connie L <fi...@hotmail.com> on 2001/04/24 22:06:44 UTC

Time out in Apache SOAP

I'm trying to find out how will Apache SOAP implement time out?  Please
share with me of your experiences.  Thanks.

Connie

Re: Time out in Apache SOAP

Posted by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be>.
On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 04:46:46PM -0400, Tom Myers wrote:
> At 04:06 PM 4/24/2001 -0400, Connie L wrote:
> >I'm trying to find out how will Apache SOAP implement time out?  Please share with me of your experiences.  Thanks.
>
> That's interesting org.apache.soap.transport.http.SOAPHTTPConnection
> certainly has setTimeout and getTimeout, and the timeout parameter is used
> in socket setup within apache.soap.util.net.HTTPUtils.post whenever
> the SOAPHTTPConnection does a send, for example within
> org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(), which says
>
> >       // Construct default HTTP transport if not specified.
> >       if (st == null)
> >         st = new SOAPHTTPConnection();
> >
> >       // Post the call envelope.
> >       st.send(url, SOAPActionURI, null, callEnv, smr, ctx);
>
> so in that case, the value of timeout used within send (on line 209
> of SOAPHTTPConnection.java) is whatever the constructor set it to be,
> but the constructor doesn't set timeout; there's just the declaration,
> >   private int    timeout;
>
> Is there something actually missing here, or am I just missing
> something (as usual)?

You're missing the default initialisation feature of Java instance fields...
The timeout value is set to 0 by default, like all the proxy and authentication
string values are set to null by default.

bfn, Wouter

Re: Time out in Apache SOAP

Posted by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be>.

Re: Time out in Apache SOAP

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.
At 04:06 PM 4/24/2001 -0400, Connie L wrote:
>I'm trying to find out how will Apache SOAP implement time out?  Please share with me of your experiences.  Thanks.

That's interesting org.apache.soap.transport.http.SOAPHTTPConnection
certainly has setTimeout and getTimeout, and the timeout parameter is used
in socket setup within apache.soap.util.net.HTTPUtils.post whenever
the SOAPHTTPConnection does a send, for example within
org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(), which says

>       // Construct default HTTP transport if not specified.
>       if (st == null)
>         st = new SOAPHTTPConnection();
>
>       // Post the call envelope.
>       st.send(url, SOAPActionURI, null, callEnv, smr, ctx);

so in that case, the value of timeout used within send (on line 209
of SOAPHTTPConnection.java) is whatever the constructor set it to be,
but the constructor doesn't set timeout; there's just the declaration,
>   private int    timeout;

Is there something actually missing here, or am I just missing
something (as usual)?

Tom Myers

Re: Time out in Apache SOAP

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.