Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/11 19:06:21 UTC

SDO support for Java2WSDL

Hi Frank and others familiar with SDOs, could you please comment on the
following: -

Based on some experiences with the first cut of Java2WSDL enhanced for SDOs
posted in http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-120,  I propose...
- Not to  generate XSDs for SDOs that have been originally generated from
XSDs.  Instead, make use of the source/ original XSD as is.  Thus when a
WSDL is generated for an interface involving SDO types that have been
generated from XSDs, the original / source XSDs will be imported / included.

    Reasons
    -------------
    - Impractical to generate an XSD from an SDO Type such that it is
entirely consistent the one from which the SDOs were generated in the first
place.
    - Eleminating redunancy of generating an XSD when it had already
existed.
    - The specifications also suggest precisely this.

    SDO Implementation & Tooling.
    - To be able to use the original XSDs during WSDL generation, the XSD
locations must be cached somewhere using their namespaces as the key.
Later, when generating WSDL, for every SDO type encountered, the namespace
URI for the SDO Type will be retrieved.  Using this namespace as key, the
corresponding XSD location will be retrieved from the cache and imported
into the WSDL.  Is this a right approach?
    What would be an ideal place to hold this map of namespaces vs schema
locaitons?  I understand that there are two ways of generating types out of
XSDs i) thro the XSDHelper ii) thro the XSD2JavaInterfaceGenerator.  Is
there a confluence point for these two where the map could be held?

    - Also banking on the original XSD as the consistent model for the data
throughout, makes sense only if the SDO serialization ensures that, if an
SDO Type has been originally generated from an XSD then, the serialized data
will always be valid instance of the XSD.  Does the current implementation
of SDO take care of this?

Thanks.

- Venkat

Re: SDO support for Java2WSDL

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I need some community inputs on the following: -

- I like to go forward with Frank's suggestion that the schemalocation be
input to Java2WSDL along with the corresponding namespaces.  Ofcourse this
could make the commandline lengthy, but then may be we can have an XML
Config File to capture all inputs to Java2WSDL.  This will be optional...
i.e. use either command line or xml config file.  Any comments on this
approach?
-  If during generation of the WSDL, the tool discovers that there is no
schemalocation specified for a namespace that is to be imported then we
print a message to the console but continue with the WSDL generation so that
schemalocations could be later added.  Can the schemalocation default to
"*.xsd" when not specified?  I see something of this sort in the
XSDHelperImpl where when schemaLocaiton is not specified it is assumed to be
"*.xsd".

Thanks

- Venkat

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Venkat,

The problem with schemaLocation is that it needs to be relative to the
importing WSDL or an absolute path in the deployment environment, so
keeping track of the path of the schema that was used to generate the
types in the development environment isn't useful. Instead the location
needs to be provided by the application (e.g., Java2WSDL) that knows where
things will be in the deployment environment. If you want the application
to use annotations on the Types to store the schemaLocation, that's
possible, but currently you'll need to use EMF APIs to do it. But I don't
think you necessarily know the runtime schemaLocation ahead of time
anyway.

My guess is that Java2WSDL should probably just generate an import
something like this:

     <import namespace="the target namespace"/>

for types that XSDHelper.isXSD() returns true.

I also think Java2WSDL should allow users to specify schemaLocations for
their existing schemas. For example:

    java2WSDL -location "some namespace" "some location" -location
"another namespace" "another location" ...

in which case you could generate imports with locations:

     <import namespace="some namespace" location="some location"/>

I think this is the best approach, because it is when you're generating
the WSDL that you know where it and the corresponding XSDs are going to be
located. If the user, or some fancy tool, doesn't provide these locations,
then the runtime will need to be able to locate the imports without
schemaLocations, which some runtimes can. My guess is that Java2WSDL will
be the low level tool that more sophisticated generators will invoke, so
they would automatically manage and pass in the namespace/location
mappings.

That's my opinion anyway. Does anybody else have any thoughts on this
issue?

Frank

"Venkata Krishnan" <fo...@gmail.com>
07/12/2006 09:21 AM
Please respond to
tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org

tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Frank,

I have changed the implementation of XSDHelper.define to this effect.  Just
to recap this.. here is what I do...

if ( isXSD(type) )
   throw IllegalArgumentException;
else
   go ahead and generate the XSD.

There is a patch of XSDHelper.define that I had submitted under JIRA-535.  I

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Venkat,