Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jinyuan Zhou <zh...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/02 18:49:53 UTC

Help for strange things about central repositiory

Hi there,
I suddenly cannot run mvn command at one of my home computer. The "root"
cause is that the very 'org.apache.maven.plugins'  cannot be downloaded.  I
know it is not the central repository that has the problem. I was able to
run this on other computer at home.  It doesn't seem that  my isp is
blocking me. I m copying the output when I run* mvn -v* and the  comand from
tutorial *mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app -DartifactId=my-a
*pp

C:\>
C:\>mvn -v
Maven version: 2.0.9
Java version: 1.6.0_03
OS name: "windows xp" version: "5.1" arch: "x86" Family: "windows"

C:\>mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app -DartifactId=my-app
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central
*[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could not be
retrieved from repository: central due to an er
or: Error transferring file
[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted
*[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] *The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found*
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 2 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Jan 02 09:40:50 PST 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/254M
[INFO]
C:\>
I have also tried re-install maven and clean all the maven related
enviroment and directories.   It still doen'st work on this particular
computer  for a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Jack

Re: Help for strange things about central repositiory

Posted by Jinyuan Zhou <zh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Deron,
Yes. I am also using Norton on XP.  I have to let Norton 360 unblock both
mvn.bat and java.exe that mvn use.
Cheers,
Jack

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Deron Eriksson
<jo...@codestrategies.com>wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> I think you may be on the right track. I experienced a similar issue after
> installing Norton Internet Security a year or two ago, since Norton's
> firewall was preventing mvn and mvn.bat from contacting the central repo.
> Usually Norton prompts you when it blocks a program, but it didn't in this
> case for me, which made it surprisingly difficult to figure out. I needed
> go into the Norton settings and unblock maven.
>
> In addition, if you're running Windows Vista, you might want to go into the
> Vista firewall settings and see if the solution is in there. Like Norton,
> Windows Vista's firewall normally asks you if you want to block or allow a
> program's communication when it first occurs, but it doesn't always do
> this.
>
> Deron Eriksson
>

> Jinyuan Zhou-3 wrote:
> >
> > Got hint from this thread
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg69753.html and I
> am
> > going to look at my fire wall setting.
> > Thanks  and Happy New Year,
> > Jack
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Jinyuan Zhou <zh...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >> I suddenly cannot run mvn command at one of my home computer. The "root"
> >> cause is that the very 'org.apache.maven.plugins'  cannot be downloaded.
> >> know it is not the central repository that has the problem. I was able
> >> run this on other computer at home.  It doesn't seem that  my isp is
> >> blocking me. I m copying the output when I run* mvn -v* and the  comand
> >> from tutorial *mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app
> >> -DartifactId=my-a*pp

Some people lived like they will never die
and died like they have never lived

Re: Help for strange things about central repositiory

Posted by Deron Eriksson <jo...@codestrategies.com>.
Hi Jack,

I think you may be on the right track. I experienced a similar issue after
installing Norton Internet Security a year or two ago, since Norton's
firewall was preventing mvn and mvn.bat from contacting the central repo.
Usually Norton prompts you when it blocks a program, but it didn't in this
case for me, which made it surprisingly difficult to figure out. I needed to

Posted by Jinyuan Zhou <zh...@gmail.com>.
Got hint from this thread