Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2013/10/11 12:17:45 UTC

Revamping the Isis website

Folks,

In a few weeks time I'm doing a session at Oredev [1] in Sweden, so am
planning to get a release out of Isis in readiness for that

I'm also updating our website, with an updated home page [2] having a
crarousel of screenshots from the todo app.  Currently this replaces the
screenshot page.

As of this point the carousel runs to 20 or so slides, but I reckon it
could be as long as 60 slides if I documented all of the main features of
Isis that are shown in the todo app.

Is that good, or bad?

Alternatively, the carousel could show the main highlights, and then there
could be a reinstate screenshots page (perhaps the full carousel) of all 60
slides.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thx
Dan

PS: I've also updated to Bootstrap3; so if you see any layout glitches,
that would also be good to know.

[1]
http://oredev.org/2013/wed-fri-conference/rrraddd-ridiculously-rapid-domain-driven-and-restful-apps-with-apache-isis
[2] http://isis.apache.org/

Re: Revamping the Isis website

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
OK, folks, I've revamped the site a bit more.

The carousel on the index page [1] now shows only highlights.  This could
get replaced by a more "marketing" style carousel later... see what Jeroen
comes up with.  For now, though, what's there is reasonable, not too long,
and is a good "teaser".

I also have a new much longer carousel that's in a separate page
("screenshot-tutorial"), [2] linked to from the index page.  I'm not
convinced that a carousel is the right way to handle all these images, but
at least the raw content is up there.  If anyone wants to change the HTML
to present this stuff some other way, be my guest.

Comments welcome, as ever

Cheers
Dan

[1] http://isis.apache.org/
[2] http://isis.apache.org/screenshot-tutorial.html

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <je...@stromboli.it>.
Nice stuff Dan!

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <je...@stromboli.it>.
Nice stuff Dan!

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
I just found some time to have a look..

Very nice, Dan!

While the 20 slides might be a little odd for a main page, I don't mind.
Since they scroll automatically, it at least takes quite a while before
the images repeat.

But sure, reinstate a "screenshots" page with all 60.

Great work!

Posted by Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>.
Hi Dan,

I'd go for the second option