Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Kevin Hoyt <ho...@us.ibm.com> on 2008/06/19 16:49:24 UTC

status of Xerces 3.0

Any news on when Xerces 3.0 will ship?

>From the releases plan site
http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/releases_plan.html, it looks like it
could be any day :-)

The Xerces-C++ team is currently working on plans for future releases. At
present, we believe there will be a 3.0 release with new functionality
targeted roughly at the end of 2007. As a change in the major version
allows us to break source compatibility, we are trying to take our time in
order to break now what needs to be broken. There is some chance that
changes breaking source compatibility will not be needed, and that "3.0"
features will be released in the 2.x line.

Further releases in the 2.x line are anticipated concurrent with 3.0
development in order to fix issues or bugs in 2.x. Once 3.0 is released,
we may also issue further 2.x releases as needed by the community.

Xerces-C++ 2.y.z - as needed to address bugs or other issues.

Xerces-C++ 3.0 - Targetted roughly for the end of 2007.

Re: status of Xerces 3.0

Posted by Jay Berkenbilt <ej...@ql.org>.
Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> Jay Berkenbilt <ej...@ql.org> writes:
>
>> I don't know if you saw my email about 3.0.0 beta 1 still not
>> building on the majority of debian platforms.  I don't think I posted
>> to JIRA about it.
>
> I remember our last exchange ended in me committing a fix for a build
> problem involving and you said you will extract the change and apply
> it to beta1. Is this the same or a new problem?

No, it's a different problem.  My second report probably got buried.

>> Would you like to try to see this resolved before beta 2?  I can post
>> details to JIRA if you'd like and help with any additional testing.

I will do that today.

--Jay

Re: status of Xerces 3.0

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Jay,

Jay Berkenbilt <ej...@ql.org> writes:

> I don't know if you saw my email about 3.0.0 beta 1 still not
> building on the majority of debian platforms.  I don't think I posted
> to JIRA about it.

I remember our last exchange ended in me committing a fix for a build
problem involving and you said you will extract the change and apply
it to beta1. Is this the same or a new problem?

> Would you like to try to see this resolved before beta 2?  I can post
> details to JIRA if you'd like and help with any additional testing.

Yes, definitely. This will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools   http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog
Open source XML data binding for C++:   http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd

Re: status of Xerces 3.0

Posted by Jay Berkenbilt <ej...@ql.org>.
Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> wrote:

> I am the release manager for 3.0.0 and I am aiming at sometime in
> August. I plan to release the second (and hopefully final) beta in
> the next 2-3 weeks. After that we will let everyone test things
> thoroughly for a month or so and, if everything works well, make the
> final release.

I don't know if you saw my email about 3.0.0 beta 1 still not
building on the majority of debian platforms.  I don't think I posted
to JIRA about it.  Would you like to try to see this resolved before

Re: status of Xerces 3.0

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Kevin,

Kevin Hoyt <ho...@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Any news on when Xerces 3.0 will ship?

I am the release manager for 3.0.0 and I am aiming at sometime in
August. I plan to release the second (and hopefully final) beta in
the next 2-3 weeks. After that we will let everyone test things
thoroughly for a month or so and, if everything works well, make
the final release.

In the meantime wou are also welcome to test the first beta:

http://marc.info/?l=xerces-c-users&m=120541881312475&w=2

Boris