Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/31 09:22:31 UTC

Tomcat 5.5

What about Tomcat 5.0 vs. Tomcat 5.5? Should we do the change to have
our build process automatically create a Tomcat 5.5 compatible
version, and explain to the users how to get applications running
under 5.0.x?

I saw that Bill has checked in a change to the build-files which would
make that easy.

I think by now most of the users/developers should have switched to 5.5.

regards,

Martin

Re: Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
Hi Sean,

On May 31, 2005, at 10:57 AM, Sean Schofield wrote:

> IMO there are two issues here:
>
> 1.) What is required to run MyFaces (in general - not specifically our
> examples bundle) on the various Tomcat versions?
>
> 2.) How to make the examples work on the various deployments.

Agreed, we need two docs. The 'getting-started' doc appears addresses
point 2 (except for tomcat 4.x and I'll address that) and we need an
additional one that documents point 1.

> They are related but slightly different questions.  It seems like the
> jsp-2.0.jar is the determining factor (although I thought there was
> another.)  It would be nice to have a summary of the various tomcat
> versions (based on your findings above) that describe what jars need
> to be added or removed (to a standard Tomcat distro) for a generic
> MyFaces app to work.

Agreed, not sure why commons-el.jar was an issue but at one point it
was (I think there was a conflict between the tomcat5.5.x el and the
commons-el). Anyway it seems that we are down to the jsp-2.0.jar file
being the problem for tomcat4.x.

In short;

4.x - needs the jsp-2.0.jar file to work
5.x - works out of the box (fresh tomcat 5.x install and our
downloaded examples)

We should remove the discussion of the commons-el.jar from the docs
as it is no longer a problem for 5.0.x or 5.5.x.

> You can use the simple examples as a test case
> in determining this but the write up should be focused on any
> application.  That's the question we seem to get more than anything.
> ("I can't get my hello world working on Tomcat version such and such')

Agreed, i'll make a table in the doc I write up for point 1 above.

> As for the examples, my opinion on that would depend on the answer to
> the following question.  Do the current examples work on an
> out-of-the-box distro for Tomcat 5 and Tomcat 5.5?  (I believe they
> work on 5.0 b/c that is what I use.)  If they work on both of these
> versions I would say that yes we can ignore special build
> configuration options for the examples since most are running at least
> 5.0.

I'll write up stuff for point 2 that addresses 'pre 5.x' tomcat.

TTFN,

-bd-

Re: Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Bill,

Thanks for trying to straighten this all out.  Its very confusing to
our users (and me) so I think your efforts are worthwhile.  One bit of
history is that I simplified the build of the webapps so that they all
used a single build file build-webapps.xml.  It looks like I did not
end up providing support for the pre5.5 feature (whatever it is that
feature did.)

IMO there are two issues here:

1.) What is required to run MyFaces (in general - not specifically our
examples bundle) on the various Tomcat versions?

2.) How to make the examples work on the various deployments.

They are related but slightly different questions.  It seems like the
jsp-2.0.jar is the determining factor (although I thought there was
another.)  It would be nice to have a summary of the various tomcat
versions (based on your findings above) that describe what jars need
to be added or removed (to a standard Tomcat distro) for a generic
MyFaces app to work.  You can use the simple examples as a test case
in determining this but the write up should be focused on any
application.  That's the question we seem to get more than anything.
("I can't get my hello world working on Tomcat version such and such')

As for the examples, my opinion on that would depend on the answer to
the following question.  Do the current examples work on an
out-of-the-box distro for Tomcat 5 and Tomcat 5.5?  (I believe they
work on 5.0 b/c that is what I use.)  If they work on both of these
versions I would say that yes we can ignore special build
configuration options for the examples since most are running at least
5.0.

sean

Re: Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
Ok,

Re: Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
Well one more bit of info, the examples won't deploy on tomcat4.1.31.

Should this even be a platform for us? All we need to do is the the
jsp2.0 jar back into the examples but if no one is using 4.1.x
anymore then why support it.

I have not tried the 4.0.6 yet but will shortly.

Re: Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.

--
Matthias Wessendorf

Re: Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> IMO it would be better to generate automatically the two builds for each
> application (or at least the examples), so users could directly download
> them without having to manipulate jars...

Interesting idea.  Please remind us about it when we start to revisit
the build scripts (after SVN reorg.)  No point in changing it now.

>  Bruno

sean

Re: Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.