Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk> on 2010/10/05 12:52:25 UTC

[T5.2] Live class reloading not working with jetty

Since we upgraded to T5.2, live class reloading has not worked correctly, however if we downgrade it works fine. We're using Jetty kicked off using the runjettyrun plugin for Eclipse.

When making just a simple tml change, using the running application again has a long pause before it does anything, and after a few requests it falls over out of permgen space.

All of our developers are experiencing this, and it's a real shame that one of the major strengths of Tapestry is not working for us anymore. Is there something I need to change to get live class reloading working with T5.2?

Thanks,

Andy

Re: Inline javascript "<" being rendered as a character entity "<"

Posted by Pablo dos Reis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Good!!!

tks Richard

2010/10/7 Richard Hill <ri...@su3analytics.com>

> To answer my own question, this appears to work:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> // <!--\n
> ...snip...
> // -->
> </script>
>

> R.

Pablo Henrique dos Reis

Re: Inline javascript "<" being rendered as a character entity "<"

Re: [T5.2] Live class reloading not working with jetty

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it worked for 5.1 and still works for 5.2. There are absolutely no
delays.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Blower, Andy <An...@proquest.co.uk>wrote:

> We've always added "-Dorg.mortbay.jetty.webapp.parentLoaderPriority=true",
> something doesn't work properly if we don't, but that was all done over 2
> years ago. The dev environment hasn't changed, but with T5.2.0 Live class
> reloading no longer works.
>
> Igor, does live class reloading work properly for you using runjettyrun and
> T5.2.0? I'd imagine for small sites it wouldn't be very easy to notice, but
> for us when we change something (component or page) there's a fairly lengthy
> pause the next time a page is requested. Do this a couple of times, and
> permgen space is quickly exhausted.
>
> I'm hoping that the a global service reloading switch will be provided so
> we can turn that off and see if we can get components & pages reloading as
> before with T5.0 & T5.1
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy.

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de

RE: [T5.2] Live class reloading not working with jetty

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
I use Maven to run Jetty.  This works inside Eclipse with the
M2Eclipse plugin and also directly from the command-line.  You get to
specify which version of Jetty you want to use and JNDI also works
(just specify Jetty Plus).  I've pretty much abandoned Run Jetty Run
at this point.

mrg

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Köberl <ta...@gmail.com>.

Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

> What's the difference between RunJettyRun and EclipseJetty?

EclipseJetty is a fork of http://jettylauncher.sourceforge.net/ (Jetty
Launcher is not maintained anymore and doesn't work with recent Eclipse
versions). EclipseJetty has some magic in it, which excludes jetty and
servlet-api libs when starting Jetty.

I think RunJettyRun is also a fork of Jetty Launcher (but I'm not sure).
With RunJettyRun you have to add
"-Dorg.mortbay.jetty.webapp.parentLoaderPriority=true" to make Tapestry 5
work (see
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5HowToSetupEclipseRunJettyRun).

The main difference is that RunJettyRun comes with an included Jetty, with
EclipseJetty you have to chose an external Jetty install folder.

Re: [T5.2] Live class reloading not working with jetty

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
What's the difference between RunJettyRun and EclipseJetty?

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Christian Köberl
<ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this a problem of  runjettyrun?
>
> We're using http://eclipse-jetty.sourceforge.net/ (my fork of Jetty Runner)
> with Eclipse Galileo and m2eclipse. Live reloading works for us with this
> config.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

RE: [T5.2] Live class reloading not working with jetty

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.
Using 1.6 entire time.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
What kind of memory settings are you using?  This works fine for me
(on a Mac of course), but with -Xmx600M ... and you may need to extend
permspace as well.

Long pauses sound like GC to me ...

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship