Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu> on 2016/02/22 23:51:31 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache AsterixDB (0.8.8-incubating) and Hyracks (0.2.17-incubating) (RC1)

Hi Everyone,

Please verify and vote on the first binary and second source release of
Apache AsterixDB. Source-wise, is an update of 0.8.7 with bugfixes and
changes to our license files and packaging to make a compliant binary
release possible. Many thanks to Ate for his tremendous effort in helping
us specifically with the licensing and packaging aspects of this release.

Also, different from last time, this time we are releasing both the
AsterixDB and Hyracks components of the project simultaneously.

The vote to release on the AsterixDB dev list passed:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-asterixdb-dev/201602.mbox/%3C1455157707.8607.32.camel%40uci.edu%3E

with result:

Binding +1s:
Till Westmann
Ate Douma
Chris Mattmann
Mike Carey
Heri Ramampiaro
Ian Maxon
Abdullah Alamoudi
Henry Saputra
Yingyi Bu
Jianfeng Jia
Murtadha Hubail

Non-binding +1s:
Michael Blow

and no 0 or -1 votes.

Of these votes, we expect some of them to carry over as IPMC votes,
specifically the votes from: Till Westmann, Ate Douma, Chris Mattmann and Henry
Saputra.

The tags to be voted on are:

apache-asterixdb-0.8.8-incubating-rc1
commit: a2389dd79543cea4b06474310065ea3018072c54
link:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-asterixdb.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/apache-asterixdb-0.8.8-incubating-rc1

and

apache-asterixdb-hyracks-0.2.17-incubating-rc1
commit: 3945f24ea72908e8ded1a56c712de097a09e6d01
link: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-asterixdb-hyr
acks.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/apache-asterixdb-hyracks-0.2.17-incubating-rc1

The artifacts, md5s, and signatures are (for each artifact), at:

AsterixDB Source
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/apache-aster
ixdb-0.8.8-incubating-source-release.zip
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/apache-aster
ixdb-0.8.8-incubating-source-release.zip.asc
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/apache-aster
ixdb-0.8.8-incubating-source-release.zip.md5
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/apache-aster
ixdb-0.8.8-incubating-source-release.zip.sha1

MD5:895dc8151d71fc489b42886b207eaa33
SHA1:a98f783acb1b6dee93a574d7d7ea6dcb27480578

AsterixDB Hyracks Source
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/apache-aster
ixdb-hyracks-0.2.17-incubating-source-release.zip
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/apache-aster
ixdb-hyracks-0.2.17-incubating-source-release.zip.asc
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/apache-aster
ixdb-hyracks-0.2.17-incubating-source-release.zip.md5
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/apache-aster
ixdb-hyracks-0.2.17-incubating-source-release.zip.sha1

MD5:e8390e5821b5d10b3b8a996f59c7f06a
SHA1:b1b3e1d7c19f9384e3f311aff54dba95acb9c788

AsterixDB Managix Installer
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/asterix-inst
aller-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/asterix-inst
aller-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip.asc
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/asterix-inst
aller-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip.md5
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/asterix-inst
aller-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip.sha1

MD5:ebfb074c432f73b6407d0d35e0045d1f
SHA1:fdc55e325427b23ca5b6120d92556c2aedb3eff7

AsterixDB YARN Installer
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/asterix-yarn
-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/asterix-yarn
-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip.asc
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/asterix-yarn
-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip.md5
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/asterixdb/asterix-yarn
-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip.sha1

MD5:b85f142959e2ae1c72bbc9863938383f
SHA1:ce3def891acff3d5766c62d95b68fe45b4a8a7b6

Additionally, staged maven repositories are (respectively) available
at:

Hyracks:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1019

AsterixDB:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1020

The KEYS file containing the PGP keys used to sign the release can be
found at

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/asterixdb/KEYS

RAT was executed as part of Maven via the RAT maven plugin, but
excludes files that are:

- data for tests
- procedurally generated,
- or source files which come without a header mentioning their license,
  but have an explicit reference in the LICENSE file.

The vote is open for 72 hours, or until the necessary number of votes
(3 +1) has been reached.

Please vote
[ ] +1 release these packages as Apache AsterixDB 0.8.8-incubating and
Apache AsterixDB Hyracks 0.2.17-incubating
[ ] 0 no strong feeling either way
[ ] -1 do not release one or both packages because ...

Thanks!
-Ian

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache AsterixDB (0.8.8-incubating) and Hyracks (0.2.17-incubating) (RC1)

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.
On 23 Feb 2016, at 15:11, Justin Mclean wrote:

>> I’ve also added issues for the other fixes and improvements in the
>> source [1] and binary [2] artifacts.
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1319
>> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1320
>
> Looks good. Changing my vote to +1 binding.
>
> RE the EPL license it looks like it was under MIT when it was bundled
> but the software license has since changed.

Thank you for the careful review and the vote!

Cheers,
Till

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache AsterixDB (0.8.8-incubating) and Hyracks (0.2.17-incubating) (RC1)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi Tim,

> I’ve also added issues for the other fixes and improvements in the source [1] and binary [2] artifacts.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1319
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1320

Looks good. Changing my vote to +1 binding.

RE the EPL license it looks like it was under MIT when it was bundled but the software license has since changed.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache AsterixDB (0.8.8-incubating) and Hyracks (0.2.17-incubating) (RC1)

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

I’ve also added issues for the other fixes and improvements in the
source [1] and binary [2] artifacts.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1319
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1320

Would you consider changing your vote?

Thanks,
Till

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Chen Li <ch...@gmail.com>.
If it's still useful, please count my "+1".  (Sorry for missing it earlier.)

Chen

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
In addition to Justin's notes about the release, I believe there may be
some confusion on your part about binding vs non-binding votes.

PPMC members binding votes only count towards personnel changes.  IPMC
votes count towards releases.  Of those you listed as binding, only the
following are binding votes, since they're iPMC members:

- Till Westmann
- Ate Douma
- Chris Mattmann
- Henry Saputra

Granted that this does mean you have enough +1's for the vote to pass, but
I'd strongly urge you to consider the issues pointed out by Justin.

John