Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu> on 2011/02/04 18:12:33 UTC

Generic location for servlet-api.jar

  In Maven by Example, the servlet-api.jar is supplied by Jetty but I
want to use the jar from Tomcat, which is where I'm going to install my
web abb.  So I'm unsure where Maven is going to expect to find a jar
file that it is not downloading as a dependency or plugin.  Can someone
advise me please?  Thanks.

Ken

RE: Generic location for servlet-api.jar

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
> If this is supposed to tell me that Maven downloads it automatically, it's
> a rather cryptic way of saying that.  In fact, I'd never guess that from
> this.  I don't like "magic" code.  I'd rather put my jars in some location
> and make their existence explicitly known.

If you want to do everything yourself rather than rely on the power of a
tool you choose to use you will probably be happier using something else
than Maven. However if you are willing to learn then Maven will provide a
whole host of features that would take you months if not years to
implement in your own solution...

manfred

Re: Generic location for servlet-api.jar

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu> wrote:

> The POM reference only says this of "provided":
> "provided - this is much like compile, but indicates you expect the JDK or a container to provide it at runtime. It is only available on the compilation and test classpath, and is not transitive."
> If this is supposed to tell me that Maven downloads it automatically, it's a rather cryptic way of saying that.  In fact, I'd never guess that from this.  I don't like "magic" code.  I'd rather put my jars in some location and make their existence explicitly known.

That page isn't trying to explain where the jar comes from, it's
explaining how it is used during the build.

Try this:  http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-repositories.html

Echoing Manfred... if you want to be in total control, Maven is
probably not the right tool.  It's very opinionated software.

--
Wendy

Re: Generic location for servlet-api.jar

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu> wrote:
> My team leader has said we use Maven, so I have to become good at it.  That said, I put this in my POM,
> <dependency>
>        <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
>        <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>
>        <version>${servletApiVersion}</version>
>        <scope>provided</scope>
>    </dependency>
> and Maven complained that it could not find the javax.servlet artifact.  I then read a page at the Maven site about downloading dependencies and then installing them in the local repository.

What page?  It might need to be changed, since that's not something
you normally have to do.

> So I would like to know where I am supposed to download the dependency to?  This apparently isn't an automatic download.  Thanks.

You aren't, Maven should download it automatically.  I looked back
through the thread and I don't see the actual error message you're
getting.  Can you post that?

The <dependency> you posted looks okay, assuming you're defining that
property for the version somewhere.

I'm betting this is a connectivity problem.  Are you behind a http
proxy at work?

--
Wendy

RE: Generic location for servlet-api.jar

Posted by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu>.
>> My team leader has said we use Maven, so I have to become good at it.

>Why aren't you directing these questions to your team lead? Or someone
>else in your team who knows Maven better since you're new to the tool?

Not an option. I have to do this without internal assistance.  It's frustrating because I was programming in Java before all these tools like Maven were common, and now I can't get even seemingly simple stuff to work, and I am not always sure whether it's actually a Java problem or a Maven problem, though most of the time I know it's an issue of knowing how to use Maven.

Re: Generic location for servlet-api.jar

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> My team leader has said we use Maven, so I have to become good at it.

Why aren't you directing these questions to your team lead? Or someone
else in your team who knows Maven better since you're new to the tool?

>        <version>${servletApiVersion}</version>
> and Maven complained that it could not find the javax.servlet artifact.

Where is the ${servletApiVersion} value coming from?? Why are you
possibly using that instead of just writing the "2.5" or whatever
version you need?

>I then read a page at the Maven site about downloading dependencies and
> then installing them in the local repository.  So I would like to know where
> I am supposed to download the dependency to?  This apparently isn't an
> automatic download.  Thanks.

You should ignore that page for the majority of dependencies. Again,
what did your team lead say about this when you asked him? And as Jeff
already told you, servlet-api is available in Central, so it should
download automatically, assuming you have an Internet connection
without a proxy (or you've set up your proxy in settings.xml) or a
local Maven Repo Manager (Nexus, Artifactory, etc) that you're
connecting to... which btw you should probably have if your team is
serious about using Maven.

Wayne

RE: Generic location for servlet-api.jar

Posted by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu>.
My team leader has said we use Maven, so I have to become good at it.  That said, I put this in my POM,
<dependency>
        <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
        <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>
        <version>${servletApiVersion}</version>
        <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>
and Maven complained that it could not find the javax.servlet artifact.  I then read a page at the Maven site about downloading dependencies and then installing them in the local repository.  So I would like to know where I am supposed to download the dependency to?  This apparently isn't an automatic download.  Thanks.

Ken

> If this is supposed to tell me that Maven downloads it automatically, it's a
> rather cryptic way of saying that.  In fact, I'd never guess that from this.  I
> don't like "magic" code.  I'd rather put my jars in some location and make
> their existence explicitly known.

Maven downloads EVERYTHING automatically. And it has lots of "magic."

If you have a problem with these facts, please go back to using Ant or
another tool -- seriously, you'll be happier with it.

Wayne

Re: Generic location for servlet-api.jar

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu>.
The POM reference only says this of "provided":

"provided - this is much like compile, but indicates you expect the JDK or a container to provide it at runtime. It is only available on the compilation and test classpath, and is not transitive."

If this is supposed to tell me that Maven downloads it automatically, it's a rather cryptic way of saying that.  In fact, I'd never guess that from this.  I don't like "magic" code.  I'd rather put my jars in some location and make their existence explicitly known.

Ken

Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Azusa Pacific University
901 E. Alosta Ave.
Azusa, CA 91702

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
I went here:

Posted by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu>.

Re: Error on "mvn clean"

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> maybe windows file leaking.
> The pain of too much people ....

Or you have an open MS-DOS window that you've cd'ed into target in.
Or you have a running program that lives in target.
Or you deployed a war file from that target directory to Tomcat or
something and its still holding a file handle to the dir.
Or any number of other reasons.

If you honestly can't solve it (check Windows Task Manager etc),
reboot, and keep track of what you're doing so you have a better idea
of what is causing it next time.

Wayne

Re: Error on "mvn clean"

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
maybe windows file leaking.
The pain of too much people ....

2011/2/4 Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu>:
> I'm getting an error on "clean".
> "Failed to delete directory:  c:\javaprojects\javaapp\SpringWeb\target
> Reason:  unable to delete directory
> c:\javaprojects\javaapp\SpringWeb\target
>
> Maven made the directory and I can see it.  Why is the clean failing?

Olivier Lamy
http://twitter.com/olamy
http://www.linkedin.com/in/olamy

AW: Error on "mvn clean"

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
What OS?
Did the directory attribute get somehow to read only for the process intending to do the delte?
Some OS can not delete the directory if the directory is not empty first!
Josef

Error on "mvn clean"

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.