Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/04/11 00:40:52 UTC

OpenOffice Community Survey

I'd like to start moving ahead toward a user survey.   I have an
installation of LimeSurvey setup on my server and am learning how to use
it.

Before going live with a survey of thousands of users I'd like to do an
end-to-end test by having a simple survey of us, members of the OpenOffice
project.

I have some ideas for questions, things like:

1) How long have you been using OpenOffice?

2) How long have you been involved with the OpenOffice project?

and so on.

But I want to check to see if anyone has some other interesting questions
you think we should ask?

Remember, this is a community survey, not a survey of users.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: OpenOffice Community Survey

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/11/13 10:58 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> I think we should try to make a survey that would help us to figure
> out the Net Promoter score, a customer loyalty metric ranging from
> -100% (everybody is a detractor) to +100% (everybody is a promoter).

mmh, I am thinking how important a visual redesign is for our users.
Means a more modern look and feel to make the whole application looking
more modern and fresh.

I believe we have many many features that our users don't even know and
often don't need. My feeling is that our users would welcome a UI
refresh with a clean and maybe simplified UI to concentrate on the most
important and most often used things. The sidebar can help moving in
this direction and there is a lot of room for improvement.

In parallel the improvement of fidelity/interoperability is important
and should be driven forward. But what use is when our users prefer to
use an application with a nicer and more appealing UI.

I believe we have to find a good compromise.

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 April 2013 13:21, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:58 AM, Roberto Galoppini <
> > roberto.galoppini@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I think we should try to make a survey that would help us to figure
> > > out the Net Promoter score, a customer loyalty metric ranging from
> > > -100% (everybody is a detractor) to +100% (everybody is a promoter).
> > >

> > I can add that.  But remember, I was thinking initially of a survey of
> just
> > the core community, e.g., those on the mailing lists.  So I hope we are
> all
> > "promoters".  I'm hoping to use this survey to test out LimeSurvey and
> make
> > sure it is suitable for a broader survey of users.
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> Do you want contributions for potential questions?
>
> eg What do you consider to be the greatest threat to AOO?
>
> What do you consider is AOO's strongest feature?
>
> What is your biggest issue when using AOO?
>
>  Do you use other productivity tools as well as AOO?
>
> If so which and why?

Thanks, I included some of these.

To some extent the form of questions will be constrained by the number of
hundred people, but of 10,000 it would become unwieldy to process and
interpret.  So we may want to take questions of this type and convert them
into single or multiple choice questions where we can reasonably determine
what the main choice are.  We also have the opportunity then to have an
"other" choice where free-text can be entered.  You'll see that in the demo
survey I'll send out later.

-Rob

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.