Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/14 17:49:16 UTC

Help in testing recording VS new Thread.sleep in converter task

Hi,

I could need some help in testing the new recording ... espacially some
kind of long term test, 1-2 hours and longer with multiple people entering
/ leaving the room. The interesting thing is to see if the sound and video
is in sync all over the video (at the beginning and at every step in the
video itself).

The recording itself now acts async. That means there is a separated Thread
that writes the bytes to the file. That is nice for performance of the live
stream. However there are now some ugly Thread.sleep calls in the
Converter, as we need to make sure in the converter that the file is
actually completely written to disk before we start to convert it.
I implemented some mechanism to make sure those Thread sleep do not run
into a deadlock. However murphy's law will catch us all :) It is still a
chance that under some unexpected circumstances such a converter task gets
crazy and we have a dead lock by having a Thread that never stops.
Shall we implement a time out for the ConverterTask as additional layer?
Practically that will mean that there can be no recording longer (more or
less) then the time-out .

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wagner