Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com> on 2004/06/07 22:58:14 UTC

[Sandbox/Attributes] Promotion and Release (some help needed)

All,

I have received emails to the effect that releasing Attributes as-is
would be a good idea. People need an official release to distribute
and to use in their own releases.

The documentation isn't perfect - I'm lacking a Maven demo to
complement the Ant demo, but I don't think that the docs are bad
enough to warrant holding up the release.

Since Attributes is in the sandbox right now, it has to be promoted.
And this is a problem. See, I'm not a commons committer. So promoting
the project would mean that its chief developer (me) suddenly can't
commit code to it. This is not an acceptable state.

So, the way I see it - these are the ways forward:

 1. Attributes stay in sandbox, unreleased.
 2. Attributes stay in sandbox, but we release it.
 3. Attributes move to commons proper, we release it, and I get
committer status.

Of these, (3) is the most preferred one, followed by (2) and (1).

Commons Committers, what do you say?

/LS

Re: [Sandbox/Attributes] Promotion and Release (some help needed)

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com>.
Dirk,

I touched on the issue your bring up here:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.commons.devel/46146

and the short version of it is:

"It appears that attributes does pretty much everything people want it
to do, and so there is little reason for anyone to dive in."

/LS

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
(3) is of course the way to go.

But do you think there is enough "community" support for it?
A couple of more names on the team list would be nice:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/attributes/team-list.html
I'm only asking this because I don't see a lot of mail activity on the
lists.

Promoting/releasing a component is easy (I can help if needed)
but supporting it...

-- Dirk

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:24:35 -0400, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Leo,
>
> Let's get you on-board.  Also, have you had a chance to work with JAM on the
> merger?

No. I never heard from the JAM developer.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Leo,

Let's get you on-board.  Also, have you had a chance to work with JAM on the
merger?

	--- Noel

Re: [Sandbox/Attributes] Promotion and Release (some help needed)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
1) is putting it off.
2) is bad.
3) seems good to me. I see no reason not to propose you and see if anyone
wishes to come up with a -1, so will go ahead and do that.

Hen