Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Karthik <ka...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/09 23:34:52 UTC

Re: Memory leak? (was: 'Possible' memory leak on fop-users)

Andreas,

I ran my test cases against fop-trunk as of 08/03 and am seeing a very good
boost in performance. I profiled against the same test case that produced
loitering objects in fop 0.92beta, and did NOT find any loitering objects with
the trunk code. The memory usage also seems to be very stable and I see more
frequent garbage collections than it used to be in 0.92beta. Overall, the
process seem to use less memory than before.

Below are some comparisons from my test environment :

Total pages processed : 12000 approx (split up as 1500 pages per pdf in a loop)

1. Memory usage  : FOP 0.92beta started of with 500MB  and went all the way
upto 1.2 GB easily and JVM crashed after processing 5000 pages approx. The
latest version used upto a max of 750 MB (from 500 MB initial) and never went
beyond that.

2. Processing Time : 0.92 beta slowed down gradually from 4 minutes per 1500
page pdf to 15 min, when finally the JVM crashed. But the latest code took
consistently 3-4 min to produce 1500 pages.

I'm not sure if the above comparison makes sense to anyone,
but I just wanted to report for comparisons sake.

Overall the performance is been good so far and I'll keep profiling the process
to look for any red flags.

Let me know, if you want to track any other details.

Thanks
Karthik