Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/11 20:44:25 UTC

Re: BookKeeper Board Report due by Wed Aug 12

Sijie,
this is my proposal of report to the board (sharing it on dev@ this way
everyone can know about this important activity on the lifecycle of the
project)

The mission of BookKeeper is the creation and maintenance of software
related
to Replicated Log Services which can be used to build replicated state
machines. During the past years it became a more general basic building
block
for Distributed Storage Systems, as Apache Pulsar and other OpenSource
projects like Pravega.io and HerdDB.org.

## Issues:
No relevant issues for the board at the moment.

## Membership Data:
Apache BookKeeper was founded 2014-11-19 (6 years ago) There are currently
22
committers and 16 PMC members in this project. The Committer-to-PMC ratio is
roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Charan Reddy G on 2019-07-24.
- No new committers. Last addition was Rajan Dhabalia on 2020-03-23.

## Project Activity:
The project is quite active even if we are not cutting releases very often.
4.11.0 was release on 2020-07-09
4.10.0 was released on 2019-11-06.

The project is moving forward with new features and bugfixes.

## Community Health:
New users are often using the Slack channel instead of the ML in order to
get
in touch with the project, this has the effect to a reduced activity on the
user@ mailing list.
The activity on the ML is stable on dev@, and we are also following a
formal process to get major changes in (BookKeeper Proposals design
documents).

We had a BookKeeper dedicated track at PulsarSummit.com, a conference
devoted to Apache Pulsar.
We also have a few talks about BookKeeper at ApacheCon@Home.

We recently moved to GitHub Actions the CI jobs relevant to testing Pull
Requests.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Enrico!

I have just submitted the report.