Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by "Reid, Khalid" <Kh...@BellSouth.com> on 2007/02/27 15:23:00 UTC

multiple socket appenders

We are re-architecting our environment to be fully clustered and fail
safe.  With that in mind, we need some facility to ensure that our
application logs are also fail safe and contain logs from activity on
all clustered boxes.  The solution I am investigating is each box in the
cluster will log to multiple socket servers (1 socket server running on
each clustered box) therefore ensuring that the logs on all clustered
boxes are captured and also ensuring that if one of the boxes goes down,
our field support guys can just check one of the other boxes (since all
boxes contain copies of the same log files).

log4j.rootCategory=INFO,socket

log4j.category.Benchmark=INFO,BENCHMARK,BENCHMARK1,BENCHMARK2
log4j.additivity.Benchmark=false
log4j.appender.BENCHMARK=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.BENCHMARK.RemoteHost=nmahost
log4j.appender.BENCHMARK.Port=20565

log4j.appender.BENCHMARK1=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.BENCHMARK1.RemoteHost=nmahost1
log4j.appender.BENCHMARK1.Port=20565

log4j.appender.BENCHMARK2=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.BENCHMARK2.RemoteHost=nmahost2
log4j.appender.BENCHMARK2.Port=20565

The problem is that appender BENCHMARK1 and BENCHMARK2 may or may not
receive the log messages.  Can someone help me out?

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA624

Re: multiple socket appenders

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 27, 2007, at 8:23 AM, Reid, Khalid wrote:
> The problem is that appender BENCHMARK1 and BENCHMARK2 may or may not
> receive the log messages.  Can someone help me out?

I'm not sure what you are asking.  Are you saying that you are
observing a problem in log4cxx where the BENCHMARK1 and BENCHMARK2
appenders are failing to send the messages and you are wanting help
analyzing the problem?  Are you concerned about the scenario where
the receivers are not working properly and want to design some fail-
over strategy?  Or something else entirely?