Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1996/04/23 02:20:22 UTC

removal of cgi-bin and cgi-src

Folks, we have a problem.  We do not consider the code we distribute in
the cgi-src and cgi-bin directories as supported Apache code.  This has
not been a conscious decision, but more a reflection of the fact that
very few of us actually use it or care about it.  Yet, it is being
bundled with our software, and when there is a security warning or
problem with the software, the chinese wall inside our heads is not
relevant.  So, I propose that we remove the cgi-bin and cgi-src
directories - optionally, we can add a text file pointing to the more
common CGI resources out there.  There are only three files we have added
to the cgi-src directory - animate.c (a server-push CGI script), count.c
(a server-side counter) and random.c (a random-URL generator).  Those
could either be packaged separately or pointed at elsewhere.

Other opinions?

	Brian

brian@organic.com  |  We're hiring!  http://www.organic.com/Home/Info/Jobs/

Re: removal of cgi-bin and cgi-src

Posted by Cliff Skolnick <cl...@organic.com>.
We can also move them to a directory called unsupported, but I'm not 100%
sure that this is the right idea.

--
Cliff Skolnick                                      cliff@organic.com

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759