Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Wang Yu <wa...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/04 09:24:53 UTC

jar command

Hi,all
In the wiki of hadoop, I see the following command:
bin/hadoop jar hadoop-0.14.2-examples.jar wordcount gutenberg gutenberg-output

what is the meaning of the command jar?  And jar has no option like c or x, why?

Thanks!

Institute of Computing Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences

Re: jar command

Posted by Adrian Woodhead <ad...@last.fm>.
The purpose is to tell hadoop which jar file to look inside of to find
the launcher class for starting the named map/reduce program (in this
example "wordcount"). So it is not like the standard jar command for
creating and extracting files, but is rather an argument passed to the
hadoop command.