Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/03 18:16:03 UTC

development environment stratos runtime setup

Hi Devs,

I'm working on scripts to create a runtime environment for stratos
consisting of:

   - 4.0.0 Message Broker
Configuration<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Message+Broker+Configuration>
   - 4.0.0 Load Balancer
Configuration<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Load+Balancer+Configuration>
   - 4.0.0 Cloud Controller
Configuration<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Cloud+Controller+Configuration>
   - 4.0.0 Stratos Controller
Configuration<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Stratos+Controller+Configuration>
   - 4.0.0 AutoScaler
Configuration<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+AutoScaler+Configuration>
   - 4.0.0 Complex Event Processor
Configuration<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Complex+Event+Processor+Configuration>

At the moment, I'm unzipping and configuring each of the 6 products to run
as standalone component, but this seems quite inefficient for a developer
environment.

Is it possible to deploy all the products together on a single carbon
runtime?

Does it make sense to deploy all the products together?

For a single runtime with all the features, do I just need to copy the
feature zip files and adapt the instructions on the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Product+Configuration
?

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: development environment stratos runtime setup

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Udara,

Will share the puppet scripts when/if I get that far.

Cheers,

Chris

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: development environment stratos runtime setup

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lahiru

> We will have a puppet based setup script as well in the near future. Until
> that we can use the bash script we have. It is in a testable state and
> committed to source AFAIK.

Will the puppet script be modular so that there will be:

-  a puppet module for installing carbon core
-  a puppet module for each product, installing the stratos product as a
feature on top of carbon core

This approach will give administrators the flexibility to decide whether
they:

-  install stratos as separate products each with their own carbon core/jvm
-  install all stratos products in a single carbon core/jvm

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
8gb is for Stratos products not including IAAS(openstsck). You will have to
use another machine for openstack. Yes it is painful :-(

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM, chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Lakmal - should I create a JIRA issue for this so that that I can be
> assigned?

+1

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM, chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Lakmal - should I create a JIRA issue for this so that that I can be
> assigned?

Sure, please do.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: development environment stratos runtime setup

Posted by Pradeep Fernando <pr...@gmail.com>.
yes lakmal. will get it done..

thanks,
--Pradeep

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>wrote:

> I think we need to create one Stratos pack and run in one JVM will reduce
> memory foot print. IFAIK Chris looked into this also. I think we can get
> Pradeep help on this, since he is expert on carbon stuff. @Pradeep can we
> get your help?
>

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM, damitha kumarage <da...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>> Yes I am too working on a setup on virtualbox(see thread "Docker support
>> for Stratos"). To run a Stratos setup on Openstack/Docker Iaas in the same
>> VM I need at least 5.2G memory which I think too big for average developer.
>>
>> Damitha
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM, chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Damitha,
>>>
>>> This is still on my list.  I will probably focus on this after
>>> completing the first version of a scripted vagrant cloudstack +
>>> stratos environment.  The first version of the environment will
>>> probably require a lot of memory (approx 10+ gb for the vagrant guest)
>>> which will make it inaccessible for a lot of people, so I expect the
>>> next focus will be to optimise that environment.
>>>
>>> As for timescales, that's a tough one to answer as I'm working on it
>>> in my free time :)
>>>
>>> What is the reason for your question?  Are you finding the whole setup
>>> too heavyweight at the moment?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Chris

>>> footprint.
>>> WSO2) did
>>> committer/ppmc
>>> lead

>>> http://blog.afkham.org/2013/02/building-raspberry-pi-cluster-part-2.html
>>> http://blog.afkham.org/2013/01/why-we-built-raspberry-pi-cluster.html

>>> version.

>>> do

>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18746437/wso2-api-manager-requirements

>>> the

>>> --
>>> Check out my professional profile and connect with me on LinkedIn.
>>> http://lnkd.in/cw5k69
>>>

>> --
>> Damitha Kumarage
>> http://people.apache.org/

> Lakmal Warusawithana
> Software Architect; WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile : +94714289692

Pradeep Fernando.
http://pradeepfernando.blogspot.com/

Re: development environment stratos runtime setup

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,
Yes I am too working on a setup on virtualbox(see thread "Docker support
for Stratos"). To run a Stratos setup on Openstack/Docker Iaas in the same
VM I need at least 5.2G memory which I think too big for average developer.

Damitha

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM, chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Damitha,
>
> This is still on my list.  I will probably focus on this after
> completing the first version of a scripted vagrant cloudstack +
> stratos environment.  The first version of the environment will
> probably require a lot of memory (approx 10+ gb for the vagrant guest)
> which will make it inaccessible for a lot of people, so I expect the
> next focus will be to optimise that environment.
>
> As for timescales, that's a tough one to answer as I'm working on it
> in my free time :)
>
> What is the reason for your question?  Are you finding the whole setup
> too heavyweight at the moment?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM, damitha kumarage <da...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Are there any plans on getting this done soon?
> >
> > Damitha
> >

> > On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> IMO, we should optimize Stratos products to consume low memory
> footprint.
> >> Now we are using vanilla carbon kernel and bundle features. We (in
> WSO2) did
> >> this to some extend in past, run stratos2 in raspberry pi cluster.
> >> [1][2][3]. We can do the same to Stratos 4.0 since Stratos
> committer/ppmc
> >> already has couple of geeks involved to that project. :). Chris you lead
> >> this, if you have some time :)
> >>
> >> [1]http://blog.afkham.org/2013/01/raspberry-pi-control-center.html
> >>
> >> [2]
> http://blog.afkham.org/2013/02/building-raspberry-pi-cluster-part-2.html
> >> [3]
> http://blog.afkham.org/2013/01/why-we-built-raspberry-pi-cluster.html

> version.

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18746437/wso2-api-manager-requirements

> >> --
> >> Lakmal Warusawithana
> >> Software Architect; WSO2 Inc.
> >> Mobile : +94714289692
> >> Blog : http://lakmalsview.blogspot.com/
> >>

> > --
> > Damitha Kumarage
> > http://people.apache.org/

> Check out my professional profile and connect with me on LinkedIn.
> http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Damitha Kumarage
http://people.apache.org/

Re: development environment stratos runtime setup

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Damitha,

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: development environment stratos runtime setup

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@gmail.com>.
Are there any plans on getting this done soon?

Damitha

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>wrote:

> IMO, we should optimize Stratos products to consume low memory footprint.
> Now we are using vanilla carbon kernel and bundle features. We (in WSO2)
> did this to some extend in past, run stratos2 in raspberry pi cluster.
> [1][2][3]. We can do the same to Stratos 4.0 since Stratos committer/ppmc
> already has couple of geeks involved to that project. :). Chris you lead
> this, if you have some time :)
>
> [1]http://blog.afkham.org/2013/01/raspberry-pi-control-center.html
> [2]
> http://blog.afkham.org/2013/02/building-raspberry-pi-cluster-part-2.html
> [3]http://blog.afkham.org/2013/01/why-we-built-raspberry-pi-cluster.html
>

> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Sorry for the late replies.
>>
>> Yes, the recommendation was due to number of JVMs. It is recommended to
>> have 2 gb per carbon server, but it can be less if the load is less.
>> You might get a small idea on standard recommendations if you want
>> further information from my answer to [1].
>>
>> If you need to try out the products in single jvm, I'd recommend to
>> assemble following 3 Stratos servers first and see.
>>
>> Stratos Manager(Stratos Controller)
>> Cloud Controller
>> Autoscaler
>>
>> Because above 3 are based on same carbon Kernal always, but WSO2
>> servers(MB and CEP) cannot be guaranteed to be based on same Kernal
>> version.
>>
>> We run load balancers as cartridges at the latest milestones. So you do
>> not need to worry about installing them in the system.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18746437/wso2-api-manager-requirements
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM, Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Carbon servers min/max memory consumption can be configured using the
>>> jvm parameters in stratos.sh file. Could you have a look.
>>>
>>> Touched, not typed. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.
>>>

>> --
>> --
>> Lahiru Sandaruwan
>> Software Engineer,
>> Platform Technologies,
>> WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
>> lean.enterprise.middleware
>>
>> email: lahirus@wso2.com cell: (+94) 773 325 954
>> blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/
>> twitter: http://twitter.com/lahirus
>> linked-in: http://lk.linkedin.com/pub/lahiru-sandaruwan/16/153/146
>>

> --
> Lakmal Warusawithana
> Software Architect; WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile : +94714289692

Damitha Kumarage
http://people.apache.org/

Re: development environment stratos runtime setup

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi,

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lahiru,

Why is the memory requirement for stratos so high?  Is the main reason due
to the number of carbon instances that need to be running?

Please excuse my naivety, but I would have expected the load balancers to
have high memory requirements when lots of clients are connected, but the
rest of stratos products, I thought would be have much lower demands as
they shouldn't be processing a large number of transactions (events) per
second?

Many thanks,

Chris

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
HI Lahiru,

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
ah, thanks Udara.

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
I'm nor sure is it possible to put all the products into one. Even possible
it may not make any sense.

Touched, not typed. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.