Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Dominik Psenner <dp...@apache.org> on 2018/10/22 06:54:34 UTC

Re: log4net / .ner core 2.1 / SmtpAppender

Hi Michael,

it's great to see your interest in log4net. I'm responding inline ..

On 2018-10-22 04:14, Michael Karmazin (public) wrote:
> Hi Dominik,
>
> I've got your email from the log4net repo on GitHub - sorry if it's a wrong
> way to contact the log4net team, but I did not find any other.

There's a mailing list, see [1] for more information. As an alternative
there's also the issue tracker, see [2]
for more information.

> I was happily using log4net for years under the classic .NET framework
> (log4net is an awesome logging tool btw), but now I moved to .NET Core 2.1,
> and seems not everything is supported there which is a bit disappointing.
>
> Is there any plans to support SmtpAppender in log4net under .NET? I
> understand it's not supported now because log4net 2.0.8 is built for .NET
> Core 1.x which does not support SmtpClient.

If support for netstandard-2.0 is added, adding the SmtpAppender is just
a precompiler directive.

> So, is there any chance we'll see soon a log4net release targeting .NET
> Core 2.1??

There are plans but the project needs human resources to get the plans
done. We have a release branch
open since several months now without much progress. However, before
adding another framework target
I want to get 2.1.0 released to provide people with an upgrade path.
Then we can continue working on the
netstandard-2.0 branch.

This said I'm glad you're reaching out to the community. Would you like
to get involved? We need people to test
the current release branch, review the documentation, work through open
issues, ..

[1] https://logging.apache.org/log4net/mail-lists.html
[2] https://logging.apache.org/log4net/issue-tracking.html

Fwd: log4net / .ner core 2.1 / SmtpAppender

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@apache.org>.
Apparently I forgot to add dev at logging dot apache dot org to the
recipients. Here comes the last message as a forward.

On 2018-10-22 12:36, Michael Karmazin (public) wrote:
> As for getting involved: I'd be happy too... when I've got time. As the
> first and minimum thing, I can start using the release branch now. I
> understand it's the 'release/2.1.0' branch - ok I'll build and hook it up.

Awesome. Thanks. Do not hesitate to try the binaries built against
different frameworks. Note
that the binaries are also available from nightly builds over here [1].

> BTW here is the first problem to report with the documentation - sorry
> doing it here rather than using jira, I promise will do the bug tracker
for
> any subsequent problems...
>
> [image: image.png]
> This is the first code snippet from the Introduction page, and the first
> method in the snippet... is just not there in the library :-/
> Yes it's not there for .NET Core only, but I guess the current most
popular
> flavour of .NET family can't be ignored in such a way in the doco. Just
> imaging how puzzled would be a newcomer.
> https://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/manual/introduction.html
>
> I think that the Intro page really needs to be adapted to the current
> limitation of the used .NET Core version, as well as in all places where
> this simplest form of GetLogger is mentioned in the manual. Or maybe find
> way to return it into LogManager even for .NET Core 1.x? This would be the
> ideal I guess.

As pointed out in the previous mail, I would like to have the
netstandard-1.3 target improved before
tackling netstandard-2.0. The documentation and site is in the
repository and definitely needs to be
improved. This again brings us back to the project needs for human
resources.

I assume that those developers notice any discrepancies between
"documentation" vs "code" when
targeting the netstandard build of log4net. If there's any documentation
missing I will gladly accept
any contribution - be it a patch or pull request on github - that
improves the situation.

> Also, it would help if all appenders that are not in the .NET Core would
be
> clearly marked as such everywhere in the documentation where they're
> mentioned.

Memory may betray me now, but as far as I can recall there should be a
compatbility table, chart or something
similar somewhere. I would mention the source if I had the possibility
to look it up for the readers out there.

> Anyway, like I said I will start using the 2.1 branch version, and will
> file any issues into Jira if I find anything.

Do not hesitate to ping back on the mailing list or jira - whatever
transport fits best the kind of question you have.
I am here to guide wherever I can.

[1] https://builds.apache.org/job/logging-log4net/

Re: log4net / .ner core 2.1 / SmtpAppender

Posted by "Michael Karmazin (public)" <m....@gmail.com>.
Hi Dominik,

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok gotcha, good to know that core 2.1 is at
least on the cards.

[...]

this simplest form of GetLogger is mentioned in the manual. Or maybe find a
way to return it into LogManager even for .NET Core 1.x? This would be the
ideal I guess.

Also, it would help if all appenders that are not in the .NET Core would be
clearly marked as such everywhere in the documentation where they're
mentioned.

Anyway, like I said I will start using the 2.1 branch version, and will
file any issues into Jira if I find anything.

Thanks!
Michael.