Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/25 03:24:59 UTC

[Discuss] About Clean Code Plan

Now ,Dubbo has 167 contributors , 3125 commits. There are a lot of unused
methods ,unused logic , nonstandard naming  in the code. And there are some
code that can use the new features of java to make the code more concise
and understandable. like Lambda , Diamond Operator and so on.These are easy
to find and fixed because of the tips of the idea .We should do it before
completing the incubation.

Re: [Discuss] About Clean Code Plan

Posted by yuhang xiu <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi, @lizhen

Your pr seems to have some problems, so I have already commented below and
explained that please resubmit a pr. If you can solve this problem directly
on your branch, you can tell me, of course I will reopen your pr. But
before that, I didn't think that reviewing 30,000 lines of code was
necessary, and your pr could not be merged before you solved the problem,
so I turned it off.

Also, if you need to discuss anything, use an issue to track instead of
using pr to track, even if your pr is your purpose. That is a better
approach.

LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com> 于2019年1月29日周二 上午10:58写道:

Posted by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: [Discuss] About Clean Code Plan

Posted by "zhi_guang_liu@163.com" <zh...@163.com>.
I agree with you very much.

您的朋友:刘志广

From: Ian Luo
Date: 2019-01-29 14:38
To: dev
Subject: Re: [Discuss] About Clean Code Plan
Jason,

Totally agree with you on this point. We should focus less on grammar sugar
but focus more on make the code clean, for say: divide long method into
shorter methods, better naming, or better doc, or even better design.

But on the other hand, if someone from the community shows enthusiasm for
updating code with new sugar, I will not object to the effort as long as it
doesn't hurt readability, after all it is low hanging fruit :)

What I propose is we should gather all possible ideas and group them in one
project on GitHub [1], like I said in my previous email. It is critical to
make the code clean as much as possible in my opinion. It deserves one
dedicated project to track all ideas. By doing this, the community can also
understand the current focuses are.

So my question is, should we init a project focusing on clean code, while
the purpose doesn't limit to grammar sugar?

Regards,
-Ian.

1. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/projects

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
Imteyaz,

Basically we are discussing whether and how to make an effort to make the
code clean, and whether it's worth of a dedicated project, though we all
understand it is a day-to-day requirement for all engineers in every single
submit.

Regards,
-Ian.

Posted by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com>.
Good Idea, I will do it like this next time.

Re: [Discuss] About Clean Code Plan

Posted by Imteyaz Khan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com>.
+1 ,

Posted by Imteyaz Khan <kh...@gmail.com>.
Ian,
  Thanks for summarizing this for me. I personally very excited about
this. 👍

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
Jason,

Posted by Jason Joo <hb...@163.com>.
Hi, lan

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
Jason,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 11:00 AM Jason Joo <hb...@163.com> wrote:

> Hi, Huxing & LiZhen
>
> Things like diamond is something called grammar SUGAR.
> Tasted good for developers but the same on byte code.
>
> So in my opinion we should not take it as a kind of "policy correct".
> we can make the changes in the code of recent PRs but not for all the code. Think about there may be more sugars in future JVM.

I think any changes should be "reviewable".
I don't think we can change all the things in one pull request.
Instead, we should divide it into small ones and make it easy to be reviewed.
Recently I've seen several pull requests doing things like this. I
think they are very good examples.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [Discuss] About Clean Code Plan

Posted by Jason Joo <hb...@163.com>.
Hi, Huxing & LiZhen

Posted by yuhang xiu <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [Discuss] About Clean Code Plan

Posted by Xin Wang <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1 to support use the new features  , but test case should be added to
ensure the functions

LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com> 于2019年1月25日周五 上午11:46写道:

Posted by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kun Song <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
good idea. It'd be even better if you could group all ideas backed by
issues into a dedicated project.

Thanks,
-Ian.

Posted by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com>.
@beiwei, @yuhang

1. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/pull/3344
SkipFailbackWrapperException is added at 2012-07-13 , but never used ,I
think it should be added when it is needed。

2.https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/pull/3371
Diamond Operator  is a feature in jdk7.

KimmKing <ki...@apache.org> 于2019年1月26日周六 上午1:51写道:

Posted by KimmKing <ki...@apache.org>.

Posted by "zhi_guang_liu@163.com" <zh...@163.com>.
+1
Agree with youre opinion!

您的朋友:刘志广

Posted by 徐靖峰 <ki...@foxmail.com>.
+1, lots of source code can be easy to refactor using IDEA. Such as lambda diamond operator, JDK8’s feature is welcome in Dubbo 2.7.