Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org> on 2015/05/18 13:22:40 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.1.0 release (RC5)

Hello!

The Apache Ignite  PPMC has voted to release Apache Ignite 1.1.0-incubating.
The vote was based on the release candidate and thread described below.
We now request the IPMC to vote on this release.

We have uploaded release candidate to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ignite/1.1.0-rc5/

Tag name is
ignite-1.1.0-incubating-rc5

We fixed Ignite startup when built from sources and many more changes which
are
described in devnotes (link below).

DEVNOTES
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ignite.git;a=blob_plain;f=DEVNOTES.txt;hb=refs/tags/ignite-1.1.0-incubating-rc5

RELEASENOTES
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ignite.git;a=blob_plain;f=RELEASE_NOTES.txt;hb=refs/tags/ignite-1.1.0-incubating-rc5

Please start voting.

+1 - to accept Apache Ignite (incubating) 1.1.0
0 - don't care either way
-1 - DO NOT accept Apache Ignite (incubating) 1.1.0 (explain why)

Here is the PPMC vote thread -
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/VOTE-Apache-Ignite-1-1-0-release-RC5-td507.html

This vote will go for 72 hours.

Thanks!

--Yakov

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.1.0 release (RC5)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
To provide some backgroud on this release:
 - it has passed PPMC vote with 1 binding vote (mine) and 4 non-binding votes
   from PPMC members.

Please cast your votes on the bits. Apache Bigtop is blocked with its 1.0
release on this vote ! :)

Thanks,
  Cos

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 19.05.2015 00:42, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the source reefs eI notice a LICENSE, LICENSE.txt, NOTICE and NOTICE.txt whose contents don’t match each other. I assume the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt are the real files to look at?

Yes. the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt appear to be the real files ... I
have no clue where the .txt-less files came from. They're not in the
tagged tree in the repository.

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.1.0 release (RC5)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

In the source reefs eI notice a LICENSE, LICENSE.txt, NOTICE and NOTICE.txt whose contents don’t match each other. I assume the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt are the real files to look at?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.1.0 release (RC5)

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > We have uploaded release candidate to
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ignite/1.1.0-rc5/
>
> And another question, I assume that the ignite-fabric-1.1.0-incubating.zip
> and ignite-hadoop-1.1.0-incubating.zip are not source releases but are
> actually convenience binary releases?

Yes, Justin, you are right.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 20.05.2015 00:44, Justin Mclean wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> +0 (binding) from me until these 2 issues are resolved. Of course other IPMC members may vote differently.
>>
>> Several bundled files have GPL license headers e.g. ./ipc/shmem/config.guess, ./ipc/shmem/ltmain.sh etc. While these look like auto generated build files but I'm not sure that they can be included in a source release.
>
> There's no way around including such files; any normal (i.e., not Java
> :) source package that uses configure and libtool needs those files
> bundled in the source.

If you read the license text in those files, those files carry
well-known exceptions - see below.  So, it should be fine.
(httpd/Subversion/APR release tarballs usually end up with similar
files.)  -- justin

config.guess:
# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
# distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
# configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
# the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that
# program.  This Exception is an additional permission under section 7
# of the GNU General Public License, version 3 ("GPLv3").

ltmain.sh:
# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License,
# if you distribute this file as part of a program or library that
# is built using GNU Libtool, you may include this file under the

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 20.05.2015 03:09, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 20.05.2015 00:44, Justin Mclean wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> +0 (binding) from me until these 2 issues are resolved. Of course other IPMC members may vote differently.
>>
>> Several bundled files have GPL license headers e.g. ./ipc/shmem/config.guess, ./ipc/shmem/ltmain.sh etc. While these look like auto generated build files but I'm not sure that they can be included in a source release.
> There's no way around including such files; any normal (i.e., not Java
> :) source package that uses configure and libtool needs those files
> bundled in the source.
>
> However, I'll have to vote -1: the LICENSE, NOTICE and DEPENDENCIES
> files shouldn't be in the package. They appear to be some maven side
> effect. Especially LICENSE and NOTICE are confusing because a user has
> no way to be sure which file she should be reading.
>
> Other issues:

I probably should have said explicitly that these "other issues" are not
release blockers as far as I'm concerned.

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.1.0 release (RC5)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 20.05.2015 12:55, Yakov Zhdanov wrote:
>   * There are many, many HTML syntax errors in the javadocs.
>
> YZ: Far from being a serious issue. Javadocs can be built without errors
> and look good in browser. I think this can be addressed with low priority
> in the background.

Well, the maven build spits out around 500 lines of "unclosed tag" and
other HTML syntax warnings. Of course that could be a side effect of
bugs in javadoc itself.

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.1.0 release (RC5)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 20.05.2015 12:55, Yakov Zhdanov wrote:
> Brane, given you are busy should we consider extending PPMC vote for 96 hours?

Thanks for the consideration, but those other issues are under control
now; the usual 72 hours will be fine.

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.1.0 release (RC5)

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.
Guys,

I have added a comment to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-927
(it will be fixed this way):

Module ssh depends on com.jcraft-jsch-0.1.50
Module tools depends on org.jodd-jodd-lagarto-3.4.8
That is why following license files present:

./modules/ssh/licenses/jcraft-revised-bsd.txt
./modules/tools/licenses/jodd-revised-bsd.txt

Module visor-console does not depends on jcraft, so, license file
./modules/visor-console/licenses/jcraft-revised-bsd.txt can be removed.

--Yakov

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.
Guys,

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 20.05.2015 00:44, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> +0 (binding) from me until these 2 issues are resolved. Of course other IPMC members may vote differently.
>
> Several bundled files have GPL license headers e.g. ./ipc/shmem/config.guess, ./ipc/shmem/ltmain.sh etc. While these look like auto generated build files but I'm not sure that they can be included in a source release.
>
> I’m also unable to compile from source:
> [INFO] An Ant BuildException has occured: exec returned: 128
> around Ant part ...<exec outputproperty="ignite.build" executable="git" failonerror="true">... @ 20:75 in /Users/justinmclean/Downloads/ApacheIgnite/ignite-1.1.0-incubating-src/modules/core/target/antrun/build-main.xml
> /Users/justinmclean/Downloads/ApacheIgnite/ignite-1.1.0-incubating-src/modules/core/target/antrun/build-main.xml:20: exec returned: 128

Actually, the package compiles just fine despite this message. You just
have to wait for ages for Maven to download a zillion JARs, each about 7
times ...

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.1.0 release (RC5)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+0 (binding) from me until these 2 issues are resolved. Of course other IPMC members may vote differently.

Several bundled files have GPL license headers e.g. ./ipc/shmem/config.guess, ./ipc/shmem/ltmain.sh etc. While these look like auto generated build files but I'm not sure that they can be included in a source release.

I’m also unable to compile from source:
[INFO] An Ant BuildException has occured: exec returned: 128
around Ant part ...<exec outputproperty="ignite.build" executable="git" failonerror="true">... @ 20:75 in /Users/justinmclean/Downloads/ApacheIgnite/ignite-1.1.0-incubating-src/modules/core/target/antrun/build-main.xml
/Users/justinmclean/Downloads/ApacheIgnite/ignite-1.1.0-incubating-src/modules/core/target/antrun/build-main.xml:20: exec returned: 128

Looks like that it is assuming that the source has been checked out from git?

Every thing else is good, I checked:
- signatures and MD5 correct
- filename contains incubating
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt correct
- All source files have Apache headers
- No unexpected binaries (ignoring test files)

For next release:
- remove the extra NOTICE and LICENSE file
- there's a few other licence files included but the software isn’t bundled:
	./modules/ssh/licenses/jcraft-revised-bsd.txt
	./modules/tools/licenses/jodd-revised-bsd.txt
	./modules/visor-console/licenses/jcraft-revised-bsd.txt

It might a good idea to:
- Distinguish the binaries by placing in a directory called binaries or adding bin or similar to their name.
- Add apache to the artefact names

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.1.0 release (RC5)

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.
Justin, you are right. These are convenience bin releases.

--Yakov

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,