Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Thomas Wright <tw...@yesco.com> on 2013/06/12 17:34:18 UTC

Developing on Linux

flex users list,
I have a bit of a question.
I'm fairly new to the list, I've noticed several dev emails from the dev
list, more notably I've been following Justin's updates and notes on
getting flex better prepped for the *nix platform.

I'd much rather develop on a linux box. I'm much more partial to linux and
it's power over windows as far as developing in general. However, up till
now I've been developing my Flex4.5 apps on windows with Flash Builder, and
will probably continue to do so until I get everything properly set up on
my linux partition.

So, I've searched and read multiple "install flex sdk on linux" tutorials,
and I'm seeing some differing opinions, most of them refer to using the
adobe flex 4.6 sdk ... not sure how much of a difference there is from the
last official adobe release vs. the apache releases. I'm also not sure
which tutorials to fully trust and which one's are a more hackish "look, I
got it running" type of a tutorial.

Soooo yeah. I'm just not sure where to really start here. I'm looking for a
solid starting point that offers the information I need to really make
choices based on a bit more of a solid understanding of the process, what's
going on in the dev world, and the adobe/apache transition world.

Any thoughts or links? Really anything would be appreciated :)

*Thomas Wright*
Software Engineer
Extension: 1054
Office: [801] 464.4600

Corporate Division
twright@yesco.com

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Thomas Wright <tw...@yesco.com>.
Great! Thanks for the input, extremely helpful :)

--
*Thomas Wright*
Software Engineer

Corporate Division
twright@yesco.com

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Mathieu St-Gelais <ma...@gmail.com>.
Let's hope it never comes to that. I've been developing in Flex for about 4
years now, and I love it.

Thanks for your clarifications.

Matt

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Mathieu St-Gelais <ma...@gmail.com>.
I'm building mobile apps. In fact, my customer uses the same AIR app on
Windows PCs as well as Windows tablets and iPads. This is why, like you
said, I need AIR 3.

On a slightly different thread: I fear that Adobe will someday decide to
stop AIR development, and not give it to the community. We would be in deep
trouble. Are there any plans for an "open AIR"?

Matt

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Mathieu St-Gelais <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Thomas Wright <tw...@yesco.com>.
Yeah, I saw the work on Alert, which is great news. I'm definitely excited
to see where the Apache community is going to take Flex. I'm still fairly
new to Flex, but I'm ramping up as fast as I can. I'd love to start
contributing.
Thanks again for the input.

--
*Thomas Wright*
Software Engineer

Corporate Division
twright@yesco.com

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Do I need to checkout the installer project from SVN (any particular branch, rev ?)
Use the develop branch, either get it form github:
https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/tree/develop

Or from the git repo directly:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-utilities.git

The code you're interested in is in the installer directory.

> and then build it ?
Yep that's basically it see README and RELEASE_GUIDE on what to set up regards environment variables etc.

> I assume it'll need me to install the (old, unsupported) AIR for Linux runtime ? Not the full SDK ?
Yes. Rather than manually installing the SDK use the scripts in the ide directory they (should) support Linux and will download the correct version of AIR and inject it into the SDK.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 13/06/2013 09:13, Justin Mclean wrote:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33527
> Done initial work but needs testing.
No problem, I can do that.

Do I need to checkout the installer project from SVN (any particular
branch, rev ?) and then build it ? I assume it'll need me to install the

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Happy to. What needs doing to help the Linux build/install experience ?

If you could help out on any of these:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33527
Done initial work but needs testing.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33529
Need to work out how to obtain and inject the pixel bender files and fix a checkin test that's failing.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33531
I've done some more work on the mustella tests but there still a few that have path case issues and still don't compile.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33532

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33533

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33534
This works but there's an issue with a check in test that stops the build.

There probably other issues to sort out as well.

> That would be one of the things you agree to by checking the box.
Sadly for legal reasons we can't do that - it's the reason the AIR installer exists.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 12/06/2013 16:57, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Thats been fixed :-)
Awesome !

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> And self build is a pain. You still need an updated AIR SDK to build it all, and they don't exist for Linux.
Thats been fixed :-)

> And I know I'm missing thinks like the mobile skin SWCs, but that's not important to me.
Also fixed - they are there if you want to use them.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
It is reasonable to expect that people don't have their SDKs built before
building the Installer, which is why this was originally done this way.

But most of the time, the users have their SDKs merged.  So, it is
perfectly fine if you give the same path to both the variables.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.
On Saturday 15 June 2013 23:15:55 Justin Mclean wrote:
> 1. The SDK needs to have AIR merged into it.

So why do I have to give both the AIR and Flex SDK locations ?

--
Tom
All beings are defined by their capacity and need for love.

Re: Flex Themes

Posted by alain garneau <al...@yahoo.ca>.

Thanks Simon for sharing. Interesting application you have there.

Alain

________________________________
Posted by Simon Gladman <sg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

_________________________

Re: Flex Themes

Posted by alain garneau <al...@yahoo.ca>.
Thanks Justin. Yes I have seen it but for many of the good looking skins the urls to the downloads are invalid. Also it seems to be all mx components and I am using Sparks.

Alain

________________________________
Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Flex Themes

Posted by Thiago Maia <a0...@a00s.com>.
Me too, at least once a month I look around with google hoping somebody
start to develop cool skins or css... or anything that make the
interface a little bit different.

Thiago

Flex Themes

Re: Building installer for Linux

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > We had a discussion a while ago that we don't want to clutter the root
>> of
>> > the website with numerous versions of the installer config file.  Hence
>> the
>> > move to the new installer directory.
>> Mind moving the config file to the correct place then? That probably
>> easier than required people testing to edit the code.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin
>

> Will do.  Just want to clean it up a bit.
>
> Thanks,
> Om

Done.

Re: Building installer for Linux

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 04/07/2013 22:25, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
> Moving todev@f.a.o.
Oh. I'd best join that then, sorry !

Tom

Re: Building installer for Linux

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Moving to dev@f.a.o.

In the loadXML() function, replace the line:

request = new URLRequest(Constants.APACHE_FLEX_URL +
Constants.CONFIG_XML_NAME);

with

request = new URLRequest(Constants.CONFIG_XML_NAME);

This will let you load the config file from the local disk.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 04/07/2013 23:10, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Think this issue was fixed a while back do you have the latest version of the code?
>
> setupWindowInitOptions should have these lines of code in them.
> 	if ("renderMode" in init)
>         init["renderMode"] = _renderMode;

Hmm, I had did a 'git pull' just before, which brought in the drop
downs, but the error is from inside the SDK itself ?
I'll review what I have locally over the weekend (left my laptop at home !).

Tom

Re: Building installer for Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Moving to dev@f.a.o.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.

Unable to load http://flex.apache.org/installer/sdk-installer-config-3.0.xml

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.
On Friday 21 June 2013 06:42:13 Justin Mclean wrote:
> HI,
>
> > It does now build, but it's built a dmg rather than rpm/deb.
>
> It should build a deb double check the build ant file for this - sounds like
> you might not have the latest.

git pulled, built and :

$ ls release/
apache-flex-sdk-installer-2.6.0-bin.deb

:-)

This does install and run, but 'Aborting installation' appears after download
and half way through the MD5 check and the log file button doesn't seem to do
anything.
No errors on console.
Nothing in the folder I was installing the download SDK too by that time.

I was able to catch it while it was checksuming though, and :

falken@wopr:~/Documents/packages/apache-flex-sdk-4.9.1-bin-air-2.6/ide$ ls -lah
/tmp/sdk/temp/ ; md5sum /tmp/sdk/temp/*
total 61M
drwxrwxr-x 2 falken falken  60 Jun 22 17:46 .
drwxrwxr-x 3 falken falken  60 Jun 22 17:45 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 falken falken 61M Jun 22 17:46 apache-flex-sdk-4.9.1-bin.tar.gz
7556b8ece4db360e4cb3a4723737a373  /tmp/sdk/temp/apache-flex-sdk-4.9.1-
bin.tar.gz

Which match what I get for
http://mirrors.enquira.co.uk/apache/flex/4.9.1/binaries/apache-flex-sdk-4.9.1-bin.tar.gz via wget.

Hmmmm.... ?

--
Tom
A man can't fight if he can't stand.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 20/06/2013 21:42, Justin Mclean wrote:
> HI,
>
>> It does now build, but it's built a dmg rather than rpm/deb.
> It should build a deb double check the build ant file for this - sounds like you might not have the latest.
>
>      <!-- AIR package extension -->
>      <condition property="extension" value="exe">
>          <os family="windows" />
>      </condition>

Hmm, I'm sure I did a 'git rebase' before running the compile... where
does the extension value get set ?

Tom

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> It does now build, but it's built a dmg rather than rpm/deb.
It should build a deb double check the build ant file for this - sounds like you might not have the latest.

    <!-- AIR package extension -->
    <condition property="extension" value="exe">
        <os family="windows" />
    </condition>
    <condition property="extension" value="dmg">
        <os family="mac" />
    </condition>
    <condition property="extension" value="deb">
        <os family="unix" />
    </condition>

Justin

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.
Right, progress !
It does now build, but it's built a dmg rather than rpm/deb. This appears to
be because of package.kit in the build.xml ?

It should have built a .air too, right ? I can't find this artefact...

The build went like:
packageair:
     [echo] Using cert temp.p12

packagenative:

cleanup:
   [delete] Deleting directory /home/falken/workspace/flex-
utilities/installer/build

build:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 28 seconds
falken@wopr:~/workspace/flex-utilities/installer$ ls release/
apache-flex-sdk-installer-2.6.0-bin.dmg

--
Tom
My attitude to drugs changes depending on how much money I have.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.
On Thursday 20 June 2013 19:09:35 Tom Chiverton wrote:
> git clone running... Do I have to build the whole SDK then as well ?!?
> Or can I just copy this file to somewhere in the SDK binary release ?

It seems to be running in the ide dir of the current Apache Flex binary SDK
OK,,,,

Tom

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.
On Friday 21 June 2013 04:01:18 Justin Mclean wrote:
> "ide" directory of the Apache Flex SDK - probably best to get the one from
> the develop branch.
>
> https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/develop/ide/addAIRtoSDK.sh
>
> Justin

git clone running... Do I have to build the whole SDK then as well ?!?
Or can I just copy this file to somewhere in the SDK binary release ?

--
Tom
There are two kinds of people, those who finish what they start
 and so on.
 - Robert Byrne

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.
On Friday 21 June 2013 02:16:10 Justin Mclean wrote:
>  ./addAIRtoSDK.sh 2.6 ..

Where should this file be ? I can't find it in my download of the 4.9 Apache
Flex SDK or the develop branch of the installer source.

--
Tom
Unanswered Questions #12a:

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I had no idea there was a script I needed to run after unpacking the Adobe AIR SDK over the Apache Flex SDK.
You can't just unpack the AIR SDK over the SDK on Linux, Windows or OSX. I know there are a few blog posts and the like that say you can but a little more needs to happen than that.

The script to run is:
 ./addAIRtoSDK.sh 2.6 ..

This will download Linux 2.6 AIR, move what required into the right place and change the config files for you (there's 3 of them).

Depending on your shell you may need you modify the script a tiny bit (on OSX sh is actually bash).  What shell/version of Linux are you running?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 20/06/2013 16:43, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> So the SDKs are just the latest released ones from either Apache or Adobe (in the case of AIR), unzipped.
> The SDK needs to be a working 4.9 or 4.9.1 SDK, not just a downloaded zip. There's a bit of a chicken and egg issue here, so either copy a working SDK off another machine or run the script in the ide directory to set the AIR version to 2.6.
>
> And by latest AIR for Linux I assume you mean 2.6?
It's a massive chicken and egg build a self-hosting installer :-)

I had no idea there was a script I needed to run after unpacking the
Adobe AIR SDK over the Apache Flex SDK. Will give this a go in a hour or
two.

Yes, AIR 2.6 SDK.

Tom

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
There should have been a script to run to get the SDK to use AIR2.6?

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I think you set flex-config.xml.  I thought the scripts did that for you
though...

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Tom, did you compile it yourself?  Some setting still isn't right.  The

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.
On Tuesday 18 June 2013 11:00:53 OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
> > utilities/installer/src/InstallApacheFlex-app.xml: error 102: Invalid
> > namespace http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/3.4
> >
> > BUILD FAILED
> > /home/falken/workspace/flex-utilities/installer/build.xml:285: Java
> > returned:
> > 12
> >
> > as far as I know, you can't use a newer name space with an older AIR SDK ?
>
> That is correct.  You want to do some ant jujitsu to change the namespace
> to 2.6 upon detection of Linux OS.  Take a look at the target :
> "update-version-in-xml-files"  (in the same build.xml) for an example of
> how to do a search and replace.

Sadly, there it stuff in the project that requires a later Flex SDK ?

packageair:
     [echo] Using cert temp.p12
     [java] /home/falken/workspace/flex-
utilities/installer/src/InstallApacheFlex-app.xml: error 305: Intial window
content SWF version 14 exceeds namespace version
http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/2.6

--
Tom
It will all end in fire.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> as far as I know, you can't use a newer name space with an older AIR SDK ?

Yep just edit the file and change it to 2.6. I asked on the dev list for the best way around this but no answer yet.

Justin

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
I was hoping to one day use the Workers API while generating the MD5 hash.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.
On Monday 17 June 2013 21:32:13 Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> All yours. It's needs some improvements/documentation but it should now
> work. It currently downloading the OSX binary but that work out of the box
> on linux so should be no issues.
>
> Justin

$ git rebase
Current branch develop is up to date.
falken@wopr:~/workspace/flex-utilities/installer$ ant build -
DFLEX_HOME=/home/falken/Documents/packages/apache-flex-sdk-4.9.1-bin-and-
dobeAIRSDK-2.6 -DAIR_HOME=/home/falken/Documents/packages/AdobeAIRSDK-2.6
.
.
.

packageair:
     [echo] Using cert temp.p12
     [java] /home/falken/workspace/flex-
utilities/installer/src/InstallApacheFlex-app.xml: error 102: Invalid
namespace http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/3.4

BUILD FAILED
/home/falken/workspace/flex-utilities/installer/build.xml:285: Java returned:
12

as far as I know, you can't use a newer name space with an older AIR SDK ?

--
Tom
'On the plus side, death is one of the few things that can be done as
easily as lying down.'
 - Woody Allen
 - Without Feathers

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 17/06/2013 10:27, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Sweet. Hopefully I was of some use. Ping me an email when those changes are made?
> They have been checked into the develop branch. I'm just making a few other minor mods and they should be checked in 1/2 hour.
Ace. Should be able to try this tomorrow night.

Tom

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 15/06/2013 14:55, Justin Mclean wrote:
> OK after running into a minor AIR install issue[1], the installer compiles and runs on Linux. The initial drop boxes to select the version of AIR/FP are not working so we'll need to fix that.
Sweet. Hopefully I was of some use. Ping me an email when those changes
are made ? I'll merge my SDKs in the mean time ready.

Tom

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

OK after running into a minor AIR install issue[1], the installer compiles and runs on Linux. The initial drop boxes to select the version of AIR/FP are not working so we'll need to fix that.

Thanks,
Justin

1. Needed to provide symbolic links to libgnome-keyring.so

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> OK, sweet. My ant-foo is poor :-)
There 2 other issues -  you run into the first
1. The SDK needs to have AIR merged into it.
2. The release file new to be a .deb not .dmg

I'll check those fixes in shortly.

After that you should have an real installer to test.

Justin

Ps I'm on a bus in Ireland with wifi so may be unexpectedly offline at any point  :-)

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@rachaelandtom.info>.
On Saturday 15 June 2013 17:15:03 Justin Mclean wrote:
> Not that one of the failure was due to case in MD5 files and that
> format="md5" vs format="MD5" fixed the issue.

OK, sweet. My ant-foo is poor :-)

Now it gets to

compile:
    [mxmlc] Loading configuration file /home/falken/Documents/packages/apache-
flex-sdk-4.9.1-bin/frameworks/air-config.xml
    [mxmlc] /home/falken/Documents/packages/apache-flex-sdk-4.9.1-
bin/frameworks/air-config.xml(64): Error: unable to open
'{airHome}/frameworks/libs/air/airglobal.swc'
    [mxmlc]
    [mxmlc]       </external-library-path>
    [mxmlc]

I assume this should be substituting in the value from somewhere and isn't.
I changed the air-config file to have a hard coded full path. I assume that is
the wrong way to really fix it.

Now it gets as far as complaining the install wont build with the most recent
version of the Linux SDK:

packageair:
     [echo] Using cert temp.p12
     [java] /home/falken/workspace/flex-
utilities/installer/src/InstallApacheFlex-app.xml: error 102: Invalid
namespace http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/3.4

which is kinda a show stopper.

--
Tom
Famous Last Words #48:

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Mad a couple of changes to the build.xml file - should get a little further. Not that one of the failure was due to case in MD5 files and that format="md5" vs format="MD5" fixed the issue.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> For Installing Apache Flex on Linux, check out this post i hope it will
> help ...
Thanks for the link but we're trying to go a step further and get the SDK installer to compile on Linux.

Justin

Re: Developing on Linux

Posted by Saleh Abdulawal <sa...@gmail.com>.

http://saleh360.blogspot.com/2013/04/up-and-running-with-apache-flex-on.html