Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by an...@escalate.com on 2002/02/07 00:48:12 UTC

RE: Second call: Does anyone still really require Java 1.1 suppor t?

I don't see any problem to drop JDK 1.1, right now
the only supported version of JDK is JDK 1.3.1_02.

And, it is very common for clients to install multiple
versions of JDK on their system.  If they are brave
enough to try any version of Xalan, they will should
be very comfortable with JDK 1.3 or 1.4.

Andrew Duan
Escalate, Inc.

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.
At 7:40 PM -0800 2/6/02, Gary L Peskin wrote:
>VAJ is pretty much a dead dog.  I suggest that you upgrade to Eclipse
>(http://www.eclipse.org) w

Thanks! I'm downloading it now.
--
Brad Cox, Ph.D.; bcox@virtualschool.edu 703 361 4751
For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.

RE: Second call: Does anyone still really require Java 1.1 support?

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
Brad --

VAJ is pretty much a dead dog.  I suggest that you upgrade to Eclipse
(http://www.eclipse.org) which is the follow-on product to VAJ.  It is
free.  As a VAJ user, I think that you'll find a very fast learning
curve.  It is written almost entirely in Java and it is open source.
There is a RedHat Linux version on the download page.

Eclipse itself doesn't include some of the enterprise features of VAJ.
For that, you'll need WSAD, a set of plugins to Eclipse, which is
pricey.  For straight java development, you don't need WSAD but it has
handy features for designing html/jsp pages, .war files, .ear files,
etc.
A free sixty day trial version is available at
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/studio/preregister.html#wsadlp.

Eclipse can use any standard JDK and does not use a proprietary JDK like
VAJ depended on.  This was a major limitation of VAJ and I'm glad that
it's been done away with in Eclipse.

So (he says, working his way back to a Xalan-related topic), I don't
really see the limitations of VAJ weighing in heavily in this
discussion, IMHO.

HTH,
Gary

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
Brad --

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
Andrew --

That may be the only supported version from Sun but I am sympathetic to
Mac users on Mac OS 9 for whom JDK 1.1.8 is still supported and who
don't have the choice to upgrade JDKs and stay on that OS.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough interest in the older Mac
operating systems to convince Apple devote resources towards porting JDK
1.3 back to them.  Also, it doesn't seem like any third parties would
like to create a JDK for the older Macs.  So, for Mac OS 9 users, they
are stuck.

I think a large part of what XalanJ should do depends on the magnitude
of this problem.  If we have, say, two users who can't upgrade to Java
2, it doesn't seem like we should limit everyone else to the lowest
common denominator.  On the other hand, if this affects a large portion
of the community, that is a different story.  Remember, per Shane's -1,
release 2.3 would still run on 1.1.8.  That release is fully compliant
with XSLT 1.0 and implements all of its features.  So, if you have an
old computer, running an old operating system, you'll eventually be
limited to running old software.  Just like you won't be able to run any
of the Mac OS X only applications that are coming out.

So, for those of you who are limited to JDK 1.1.8, please speak out now
so that you can be counted.  I've already counted Elliotte Rusty Harold.

Elliotte --

When do you think that MacOS 9 will no longer be a common option among
those Mac users interested in a Java-based XSLT Processor?  Six months,
two years?

Gary

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
Andrew --