Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Querna <ch...@cyan.com> on 2003/02/28 08:31:16 UTC

mod_authn_dbi... first release...

It is heavily based off of mod_authn_mysql.  It uses libdbi(
http://libdbi.sf.net ) as an abstraction layer.
I personaly have only had a chance to use MySQL as a backend, it should work
easily with PgSQL if libdbi does its job.

You can get it now on:
http://open.cyanworlds.com/

I even bothered to add some CSS to the website so that is isn't as bland :-)

comments, questions, and flames are all welcome, some more than others.

-chip

Re: mod_authn_dbi

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@cyan.com>.
> I've yet to be convinced that any of these belong in the main repository.
> It'd be much easier to grant commit access to people working on the auth
> modules if they lived in a separate repository.  As it stands now,
> the main author of mod_authn_dbi would have to rely on others to
> commit fixes on his behalf.  IMHO, that isn't a healthy way to
> foster the community.  -- justin

that sure would make it more difficult to do timely updates without cvs access.

making a httpd-auth cvs auth repository makes sense to me.

-chip

Re: mod_authn_dbi

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Wednesday, March 5, 2003 8:48 PM -0800 Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>
wrote:

> I'm +1 on this as well.
> so.. whats the procedure to get this committed into the
> experimental/auth area?

As I said before, I don't believe these auth modules should be in the core -
the people who are so interested in this can go create a new repository - call
it httpd-auth or something.

Re: mod_authn_dbi

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.

Re: mod_authn_dbi

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Paul Querna wrote:

> so.  What does everyone thing about including this in apache-2.1?

Though a separate auth module tree was discussed for things like this -
note that this module is very database agnostic - and I'd argue that it
may be good for the base distribution.

Dw.

mod_authn_dbi

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@cyan.com>.
DW> Second SELECT %s FROM ... without the conf->rec.isactive_field most
DW> propably needs the AND %s!=0 wacked :-)

d`oh. Fixed :)

DW> dbi_escape() escape scares me - i.e. it lets unicode and other fun like
DW> \n, \r, nl/cr survive. Are we sure that all backend DB's can handle
DW> that ? Or does the DBI interface make a very explicit promise that
DW> you -only- have to escape \,' and " ?

I now use DBI's own escaping functions, which uses each drivers escaping function.

thanks for the comments and suggestions DW.

so.  What does everyone thing about including this in apache-2.1?

newest version is at:
http://open.cyanworlds.com/#AUTHN_DBI

-chip

Re: mod_authn_dbi... first release...

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Paul Querna wrote:

> It is heavily based off of mod_authn_mysql.  It uses libdbi(
> http://libdbi.sf.net ) as an abstraction layer.
> I personaly have only had a chance to use MySQL as a backend, it should work
> easily with PgSQL if libdbi does its job.
>
> You can get it now on:
> http://open.cyanworlds.com/

Second SELECT %s FROM ... without the conf->rec.isactive_field most
propably needs the AND %s!=0 wacked :-)

dbi_escape() escape scares me - i.e. it lets unicode and other fun like
\n, \r, nl/cr survive. Are we sure that all backend DB's can handle that ?
Or does the DBI interface make a very explicit promise that you -only-
have to escape \,' and " ?

If you where as lazy a programmer as I am - you could look at
ap_set_string_slot (and friends) with the XtOffset magic trick to replace
the 14 odd set_dbi_something()  functions by just one or two with the
right offset specified in the CommmandRec.

Great work !

Dw