Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/09/23 08:52:28 UTC

Fwd: HADOOP-13636 and io.bytes.per.checksum

I got silence from HDFS dev here, so I'm raising it on common dev.

Why is HDFS tagging as deprecated " io.bytes.per.checksum ", given its an option being set in core-default, and used by other filesystems?

>INFO  Configuration.deprecation (Configuration.java:warnOnceIfDeprecated(1182)) - io.bytes.per.checksum is deprecated. Instead, use dfs.bytes-per-checksum

I don't see why it should be deprecated. If it isn't what HDFS likes, then the code there could be smarter: look for the dfs value, and if not found then grab the io.bytes one —warning the user.

I will volunteer to write this code if I get a promise that someone agrees with the premise and is willing to help nurture it in.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>>
Subject: HADOOP-13636 and io.bytes.per.checksum
Date: 21 September 2016 at 17:12:00 BST
To: "hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <hd...@hadoop.apache.org>>

I'm getting told off for using the deprecated option: io.bytes.per.checksum

Except: I'm not. FileSystem.getServerDefaults() is, which is used by Trash to work out where to delete things.

It strikes me that the system is inconsitent: HdfsConfiguration is deprecating a property that everything else is happy to use; I see it in four places in production, and various tests, plus core-default.xml

Is it really deprecated? If so, are there any volunteers to remove it from the codebase, while pulling up the default value into core-default?

otherwise: how about the complaint is turned off?

Re: HADOOP-13636 and io.bytes.per.checksum

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.
> On Sep 24, 2016, at 5:11 AM, Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 24, 2016, at 4:24 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 23 Sep 2016, at 18:55, Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Have you git blamed to dig up the original JIRA conversation? I think that deprecation predates many of us, so you might not get much historical perspective from the mailing list.
>>
>> its so old that it's lost in the history of the "show git history for selection" feature in IDEA which does exactly that.
>>
>> I'm happy to lend a +1 though, since like you said, it doesn't seem like that config key is going anywhere.
>>

> 	dfs.bytes-per-checksum was added as part of HADOOP-6419 / 00de6db0e3976cf0108010ecbd6e73a5ceab7b1f.  It looks like the internal-to-Yahoo! commit that was part of that one accidentally included a lot more than what was documented. So if there is any ASF-level documentation of the change, it's going to be in a JIRA patch somewhere, likely in the 0.20 timeline.

	OK neat.  It was added then, but not actually used until HDFS-631.... which you'll find in the old hadoop-hdfs tree as part of 0.21. So it was trapped in the project split... which is why it's mainly stuff outside of HDFS that is still using it. I have a hunch that HDFS-2000 was basically misguided(?): it was deprecated for HDFS's internal usage but needed in common for non-HDFS file systems to set.  So it's not REALLY deprecated in the classic sense.

	Definitely need better documentation here. :/

Re: HADOOP-13636 and io.bytes.per.checksum

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.