Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by vaughn_staples <va...@intercept.com> on 2000/10/18 14:31:40 UTC

Mod Perl Startup Question

I'm having trouble getting Apache & Modperl to run on an NT machine.
When I attempt to launch Apache using a console window, I receive the
following message:

   "Syntax error on line 205 of c:/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
   Cannot load c:/apache/modules/ApacheModulePerl into server:
   (126)  The specified module could not be found:

   Note the errors or messages above, and press <ESC> key to exit."

I've verified that the file "ApacheModulePerl.dll" is in the right
location, and
that the LoadModule command in the httpd.conf file is set ok.

Here's what I have done thus far:

o Since I lack a C compiler, I'm currently running ActiveState perl
5.00503.

o Installed Apache (apache_1_3_14_win32.exe) as "c:/Apache"

o Downloaded (mod_perl-1.16) and copied the following files:
      FROM: mod_perl_1.16/apache/modules/ApacheModulePerl.dll
      TO:       c:/Apache/modules/ApacheModulePerl.dll

      I've also copied the "perl/site/lib" tree to my "c:/perl"
directory.

o Added the following entry to the httpd.conf file (at line 205) as
noted
   in the error message:
      LoadModule perl_module modules/ApacheModulePerl

I'm new to Apache & Modperl, and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Vaughn

Re: security suggestion

Posted by "Richard L. Goerwitz" <ri...@catlin.cis.brown.edu>.
Would it make sense to allow anonymous subroutines as handlers only if
ExecCGI is turned on for a given directory?  (Likewise, allow handlers
only in modules residing in system directories unless ExecCGI is turned
on?)

--
Richard Goerwitz				Richard_Goerwitz@Brown.EDU

Re: Mod Perl Startup Question

Posted by vaughn_staples <va...@intercept.com>.
Randy,

Thanks ... & I'll try that.

- Vaughn

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, vaughn_staples wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting Apache & Modperl to run on an NT machine.
> When I attempt to launch Apache using a console window, I receive the
> following message:
>
>    "Syntax error on line 205 of c:/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
>    Cannot load c:/apache/modules/ApacheModulePerl into server:
>    (126)  The specified module could not be found:
>
>    Note the errors or messages above, and press <ESC> key to exit."
>
> I've verified that the file "ApacheModulePerl.dll" is in the right
> location, and
> that the LoadModule command in the httpd.conf file is set ok.
>
> Here's what I have done thus far:
>
> o Since I lack a C compiler, I'm currently running ActiveState perl
> 5.00503.
>
> o Installed Apache (apache_1_3_14_win32.exe) as "c:/Apache"
>
> o Downloaded (mod_perl-1.16) and copied the following files:
>       FROM: mod_perl_1.16/apache/modules/ApacheModulePerl.dll
>       TO:       c:/Apache/modules/ApacheModulePerl.dll
>
>       I've also copied the "perl/site/lib" tree to my "c:/perl"
> directory.
>
> o Added the following entry to the httpd.conf file (at line 205) as
> noted
>    in the error message:
>       LoadModule perl_module modules/ApacheModulePerl
>

> I'm new to Apache & Modperl, and all help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Vaughn

Hi,
    I doubt that this mix of mod_perl/perl/apache versions
could work - typically you must use mod_perl compiled against the
sources for the apache and perl binaries you're using. Plus,
mod_perl hasn't been gotten to work with ActivePerls based on
perl-5.005_03. The easiest thing to do is to upgrade your
ActivePerl to build 618 (based on perl-5.6.0) and then use
the ppm utility to install mod_perl (for apache_1.3.14):

ppm install
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/mod_perl.ppd

This will also grab ApacheModulePerl.dll for you.

best regards,
randy kobes

Re: Mod Perl Startup Question

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.