Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Alastair Maw <al...@mxtelecom.com> on 2007/09/07 17:33:55 UTC

Calling all translators - UrlValidator translation

Hi folks,

I've just added a UrlValidator into trunk (WICKET-832, thanks Vincent
Demay!).

We're unfortunately lacking translations for the default error message
in most languages. If you can help out for any of our supported
languages, please shout. Feel free to e-mail me them directly, or reply
to this thread with them. (You needn't bother with a proper patch unless
you want to.)

The English in question is:
'${input}' is not a valid URL.

Best regards,

Al

--
Alastair Maw
MX Telecom

Re: Calling all translators - UrlValidator translation

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 9/26/07, Cristina <cr...@acm.org> wrote:

> Hi Al,
>
> the Portuguese (pt_BR) translation of the error message is:
>
> '${input}' não é uma URL válida.
>
> I can complete/review the existing pt_BR translations if needed... Please
> let me know if this is the case.

That would be very welcome. Thanks,

Eelco

Re: Calling all translators - UrlValidator translation

Posted by Cristina <cr...@acm.org>.
Hi Al,

the Portuguese (pt_BR) translation of the error message is:

'${input}' não é uma URL válida.

I can complete/review the existing pt_BR translations if needed... Please
let me know if this is the case.

Regards,

Cristina

Posted by dtoffe <dt...@yahoo.com.ar>.
    There is a small typo in:

EmailAddressValidator='${input}' no es una direcion de correo electronico
valida.

    Should be "direccion" instead of "direcion".  There are also some
missing accents, I'll post the correct Unicode chars when I figure out how.

Daniel

Re: Calling all translators - UrlValidator translation

Posted by dtoffe <dt...@yahoo.com.ar>.
    OK found it browsing 1.3 beta. The string you want for:

The English in question is:
'${input}' is not a valid URL.

is

'${input}' no es una URL válida.

Daniel

Posted by dtoffe <dt...@yahoo.com.ar>.

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi al,
here are all missing german translations:

StringValidator.exact='${input}' ist nicht exakt ${exact} Zeichen lang.
CreditCardValidator=Die Kreditkartennummer ist ung\u00fcltig.
UrlValidator='${input}' ist keine g\u00fcltige URL.

i guess you could use that for the swiss translation too.

gerolf

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 9/25/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I doubt this is license compatible. GPL all around!

I also don't see how we should integrate it in a smooth way the first place.

What I'd be more interested in, is not those particular libraries, but
to make maintaining our resource bundles less ad-hoc.

Eelco

Re: Calling all translators - UrlValidator translation

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 9/26/07, Reinout van Schouwen <re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe this thread will convince you that the Apache License and LGPLv3
> are perfectly mixable without requiring the end result to be released
> under LGPL:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200706.mbox/browser

Excuse me for not reading a thread of ~40 messages and try to distill
whether or not ASL is compatible with GPL3, when the canonical source
(the link I provided) for license compatibility for Apache projects
doesn't state that GPL3 is safe for inclusion in Apache projects.

> >  Furthermore, the *or newer* clause does not GPL v3
> > make.
>
> Umm... what do you mean? LGPLv3 is not a newer version of LGPLv2.1?

It means that:
1. Until Apache has an official, documented policy that embraces GPL 3
I don't even want to look at code that is currently (L)GPL 2 licensed
2. Even if Apache says GPL3 is compatible and acceptable, that doesn't
mean originally GPL2 licensed code is automatically covered, even if
there is a small sentence 'claiming' to be so.

> Then there is gettext-commons, that Al Maw linked to. It's a library
> that makes it easy to retrieve strings from gettext catalogs in Java. It
> is not GPL but LGPL as pointed out previously.

LGPL is just as off limits as the GPL!

> Are you suggesting that translations become a derivative work of a
> GPL'ed $program simply by virtue of having been touched in memory by
> said $program?

If the translations come from a library or archive distributed with
said $program then YES!

> The reason called for .po files (instead of .properties bundles) in the
> first place, is that a lot of gettext-based tools exist for translators
> to make their task more comfortable.

.po files are not standard Java. -> not many people from the Wicket
community will understand them. Properties are: infact they are
supported by all major Java IDE's.

So why change to something that is not supported by mainstream Java
tools, and has a problematic license?

The suggestion and intent is good and are appreciated, but IMO it is
not going to fly: I see too many traps along the road.

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta3 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta3/

Re: Calling all translators - UrlValidator translation

Posted by Reinout van Schouwen <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martijn,

Op woensdag 26-09-2007 om 08:49 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Martijn Dashorst:
> I think it is still not possible to include (L)GPL based dependencies
> in Apache software: the cannonical list [1] doesn't show GPL v3 as
> being acceptible.

Maybe this thread will convince you that the Apache License and LGPLv3
are perfectly mixable without requiring the end result to be released
under LGPL:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200706.mbox/browser

>  Furthermore, the *or newer* clause does not GPL v3
> make.

Umm... what do you mean? LGPLv3 is not a newer version of LGPLv2.1?

> The default gettext translations /are/ IMO GPL, as they are supplied
> by gettext.

Plain Gettext is GPL, but it's not some process running in the
background. It's a collection of completely independent utilities that
extract strings from source code into a human editable message catalog,
and compile it to a binary format again. It isn't executed during
runtime of the localized application.

Then there is gettext-commons, that Al Maw linked to. It's a library
that makes it easy to retrieve strings from gettext catalogs in Java. It
is not GPL but LGPL as pointed out previously.

Are you suggesting that translations become a derivative work of a
GPL'ed $program simply by virtue of having been touched in memory by
said $program?

> derivative works, and are hence (L)GPL licensed. If you want us to use
> gettext to provide our own translations under the ASL, then why not
> continue with the current bundles?

The reason called for .po files (instead of .properties bundles) in the
first place, is that a lot of gettext-based tools exist for translators
to make their task more comfortable.

>  It is not like we are going to
> provide complete translations for all languages.

It would certainly be nice to have a good coverage, though!

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen

Re: Calling all translators - UrlValidator translation

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
I think it is still not possible to include (L)GPL based dependencies
in Apache software: the cannonical list [1] doesn't show GPL v3 as
being acceptible. Furthermore, the *or newer* clause does not GPL v3
make.

The default gettext translations /are/ IMO GPL, as they are supplied
by gettext. Generating bundles based on those translations creates

[1] http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

Posted by Reinout van Schouwen <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martijn,

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
LGPL is also problematic for Apache projects. And we can't use the

Posted by Reinout van Schouwen <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martijn,

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reinout van Schouwen <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo>.

Alastair Maw-2 wrote:

> The English in question is:
> '${input}' is not a valid URL.

The Traditional Chinese (zh_TW) version is:

UrlValidator='${input}'\u4e0d\u662f\u4e00\u500b\u5408\u6cd5\u7684URL\u3002

The Simplified Chinese (zh_CN) version is:

UrlValidator='${input}'\u4e0d\u662f\u4e00\u4e2a\u5408\u6cd5\u7684URL\u3002