Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Jobst Loeffler <jo...@imk.fhg.de> on 2002/01/25 10:06:30 UTC

Naming Service (CORBA) of XIndice

Hello,

does anyone know how to access the naming service of XIndice over web
server (http://localhost:4080/NamingService does not work) or how to
find the IOR-string of the naming service. I need this for accessing the
database from a C++-Client using CORBA.

The former version of dbxml supported this very well and there was a
NamingService-File in the docs-directery, containing the IOR-string. Now
I am using the latest XIndice version from cvs tree and cannot find a
way to access the naming service.
Thanks in advance!

				Jobst Loeffler

--

J o b s t  L o e f f l e r                     jobst.loeffler@imk.fhg.de
Competence Center NetMedia                         tel +49 2241 14 19 56

Re: Naming Service (CORBA) of XIndice

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Friday, January 25, 2002, at 02:06 AM, Jobst Loeffler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> does anyone know how to access the naming service of XIndice over web
> server (http://localhost:4080/NamingService does not work) or how to
> find the IOR-string of the naming service. I need this for accessing the
> database from a C++-Client using CORBA.
>
> The former version of dbxml supported this very well and there was a
> NamingService-File in the docs-directery, containing the IOR-string. Now
> I am using the latest XIndice version from cvs tree and cannot find a
> way to access the naming service.

I took the naming service out in dbXML 1.0b4 since it wasn't really
necessary. Instead of using the naming service we just retrieve the IOR
for the API via HTTP. The IOR is in the file db_bootstrap.ior. If you can
retrieve the file via HTTP you can invoke ORB.string_to_object on it to
get the instance. Look at the code in
org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl to see how it's done in the
API.

Be aware though, we're planning to replace CORBA with SOAP or XML-RPC in
the future.

> Thanks in advance!
>
> 				Jobst Loeffler
>

> --
>
> J o b s t  L o e f f l e r                     jobst.loeffler@imk.fhg.de
> Competence Center NetMedia                         tel +49 2241 14 19 56
> Fraunhofer-Institute for Media Communication       http://www.imk.fhg.de

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/