Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2004/07/08 10:58:24 UTC

Cocoon 2.1.5 as a FreeBSD port

Hi all,

Jean-Baptiste Quenot, a colleague of mine, made a FreeBSD port of Cocoon
2.1.5, replacing the previous one which was based on... Cocoon 1.8.3!!

See http://www.freshports.org/textproc/cocoon/

The port includes a GUI to specify which blocks are to be included by
the build.

Enjoy,
Sylain

Re: Cocoon 2.1.5 as a FreeBSD port

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Out of curiosity, why does one need to "port" a pure Java app to
> FreeBSD?  The GUI sounds good though. Can it be incorporated into Cocoon?

nonono

A "port" in FreeBSD is a package, like an RPM or a DEB package for linux.

--
Stefano.

Re: Cocoon 2.1.5 as a FreeBSD port

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@anyware-tech.com>.
* Ralph Goers:

> Out of  curiosity, why  does one  need to  "port" a  pure Java  app to
> FreeBSD?   The GUI  sounds good  though. Can it  be incorporated  into
> Cocoon?

The  FreeBSD « ports »  is a  collection  of applications,  ready to  be
installed.  Porting an application means ensuring it builds and installs
properly, not necessarily modifying the source code.  It's rather a kind
of packaging for this specific platform.

The gui for  choosing compile-time options cannot  be incorporated as-is
into Cocoon, because it relies intensively on the FreeBSD ports system.

Best regards,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/

Re: Cocoon 2.1.5 as a FreeBSD port

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Out of curiosity, why does one need to "port" a pure Java app to
FreeBSD?  The GUI sounds good though. Can it be incorporated into Cocoon?

Ralph

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@anyware-tech.com>.
* Tony Collen:

> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>
> >"The problem is that it can not  be built without very much hassle on
> >a Debian  system. The problem is that  it depends hard on  a specific
> >jvm (that do not exist in debian)."
>
> Yep, this  is the  same problem  that I  was discussing  with someone.
> That,  and from  what I  gathered,  Debian is  pretty pragmatic  about
> dependencies, so we might run into  problems with all the JARs that we
> include with the distribution.

Every  operating  system  that  is based  on  binary  redistribution  of
packages is  limited by the  proprietary nature of the  Java Development
Kit, and especially Debian, who claims to distribute only free software.

On the opposite, every OS that is  based on ports (BSD ports, or portage
on  Gentoo  Linux),  does  not normally  redistribute  binary  packages.
Instead, the  system fetches  the distfile  directly from  the upstreams
author's  server, per  user request,  encompassing legal  limitations of
redistribution policy.

The  specific  problem   of  Java  on  FreeBSD  is  that   Sun  was  not
« supporting » this platform until recently.   One had to signup for the
SCSL (Sun  Community Source License),  agree to the terms,  and download
the JDK  source him- or  herself, before building the  unofficial native
port.  Since  a couple of months,  a binary JDK is  officially available
for FreeBSD, it is called Diablo JDK, based on JDK 1.3.

> The FreeBSD ports idea  is pretty cool, and I look  forward to when we
> have a whole mess of Real Blocks as separate BSD ports.

There is  room for improvement  in that domain.  AFAICT,  nothing exists
yet in that respect.  I'd be glad to port those blocks as well.  Another
thing that could be improved would be to let the user choose the servlet
container to be used for running Cocoon.

Best regards,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/

Re: Cocoon 2.1.5 as a FreeBSD port

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi escribió:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Jean-Baptiste Quenot, a colleague of mine, made a FreeBSD port of
>>> Cocoon 2.1.5, replacing the previous one which was based on... Cocoon
>>> 1.8.3!!
>>>
>>> See http://www.freshports.org/textproc/cocoon/
>>>
>>> The port includes a GUI to specify which blocks are to be included by
>>> the build.

Wooohoo!!!! :) :)

This is something that I was thinking about not that long ago, and
discussing it with someone.

>> NICE!! we should put this information on the web!!!
>>
>> There used to be a debian package as well but, again, it was based on
>> 1.8.2!!
>>
>> I would *ROCK* to have a debian package for cocoon and a fink one too ;-)
>>

> on the bug report ( http://bugs.debian.org/221219 ) you can read:
>
> "The problem is that it can not be built without very much hassle on
> a Debian system. The problem is that it depends hard on a specific
> jvm (that do not exist in debian)."

Yep, this is the same problem that I was discussing with someone.
That, and from what I gathered, Debian is pretty pragmatic about
dependencies, so we might run into problems with all the JARs that we
include with the distribution.

The FreeBSD ports idea is pretty cool, and I look forward to when we
have a whole mess of Real Blocks as separate BSD ports.

Tony

Re: Cocoon 2.1.5 as a FreeBSD port

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.