Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by slickdev <sl...@comcast.net> on 2002/06/23 03:21:10 UTC

tomcat won't load oracle driver

I have Tomcat 3.3 and cannot get any web apps to recognize the oracle jdbc drivers, which are contained in an oracle file named classes111.zip.  I am confident of the oracle installation, as I can successfully run queries from command line java programs, using the same class file and driver.  The system out always indicates that tomcat cannot find the oracle driver.

Predictably, I have already tried moving the oracle class file among many directories under %TOMCAT_HOME%, including lib, apps, common, container, and of course, I have also placed it at various locations within the web-app\<application> directory sub-dirs.  I always restart tomcat after moving the class file.

Nothing works.  Tomcat cannot or *will* not find my oracle class file.

Advice appreciated!

R/
JMSlick

Re: tomcat won't load oracle driver

Posted by Nic Holbrook <mo...@xmission.com>.
slickdev wrote:

>I have Tomcat 3.3 and cannot get any web apps to recognize the oracle jdbc drivers, which are contained in an oracle file named classes111.zip.  I am confident of the oracle installation, as I can successfully run queries from command line java programs, using the same class file and driver.  The system out always indicates that tomcat cannot find the oracle driver.
>
>Predictably, I have already tried moving the oracle class file among many directories under %TOMCAT_HOME%, including lib, apps, common, container, and of course, I have also placed it at various locations within the web-app\<application> directory sub-dirs.  I always restart tomcat after moving the class file.
>
>Nothing works.  Tomcat cannot or *will* not find my oracle class file.
>
>Advice appreciated!
>
>R/
>JMSlick

I haven't tried this, but maybe Tomcat has a problem recognizing the
.zip extension.  zip and jar are interchangeable.  Maybe see if you can
either rename it to classes111.zip or unzip it and re-package it with a
.jar extension.  Then try putting it back in the lib/apps directory.
 I've had the best luck with classloader and the apps directory with
version 3.3.

Nic

RE: tomcat won't load oracle driver

Posted by Andrew Conrad <an...@msn.com>.
I was under the impression that you put Jar's in the %CATALINA%\lib
folder and class files in the %CATALINA%\classes folder.  The
documentation does not talk about zip files.  So my recommendation would
be to extract all your classes into the %CATALINA%\classes folder and go
from there.

Here's a link to the documentation

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

-Andrew

Posted by Marius Schwarz <sc...@power-netz.de>.
Am 23-Jun-02 schrieb Keith Wannamaker:

> Someone mentioned on -dev that one has to remove the java*.sql
> classes from the oracle jdbc jar in order to work with jdk 1.4
> (since 1.4 began bundling these classes as well)
he could extract them and place them in his classpath, that has to work.

Gruss
--
Ihr POWER-NETZĀ®-Team

>>> POWER-NETZĀ®
            Full-Service-Provider <<<

Service Tel:  01805 - 57 35 57 (DM 0,24/Min.)
Service Fax: 01805 - 57 45 57 (DM 0,24/Min.)

Online-Support:
Support: 0190 - 15 11 15 (DM 1,21/Min)
#http://Support.Power-Netz.de# (kostenlos)
#http://Support.Power-Netz.com# (kostenlos)

Power-Netz
Reeperbahn 157
20359 Hamburg

#http://www.Power-Netz.de#
#mailto:info@Power-Netz.de#

+=========================================+
<----------I N F O   C E N T E R---------->
+ Senden Sie eine leere e-mail an:
+ Providerwechsel: #mailto:Wechsel@Power-Netz.de#
+ Daten/Preise Webspace: #mailto:Webspace@Power-Netz.de#
+ Reseller-Programm: #mailto:Reseller@Power-Netz.de#
+ Dedizierte Server: #mailto:Server@Power-Netz.de#
+ Adult/Erotikserver: #mailto:Adult@Power-Netz.de#
+ Domainpreise: #mailto:Domain@Power-Netz.de#
+ WebDesign: #mailto:Design@power-netz.de#
+ SSL-Zertifikate: #mailto:SSL@Power-Netz.de#
+ Online-Datenbanken: #mailto:Datenbank@Power-Netz.de#
+ Geschaeftsbedingungen: #mailto:AGB@Power-Netz.de#

RE: tomcat won't load oracle driver

Posted by Keith Wannamaker <Ke...@Wannamaker.org>.
Someone mentioned on -dev that one has to remove the java*.sql
classes from the oracle jdbc jar in order to work with jdk 1.4
(since 1.4 began bundling these classes as well)

Keith