Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by svante karlsson <sa...@csi.se> on 2014/12/11 20:59:18 UTC

How do I create a consumer group

We're using 0.82 beta and  a homegrown c++ async library based on boost
asio that has support for the offset api.
(apikeys  OffsetCommitRequest = 8, OffsetFetchRequest = 9,
ConsumerMetadataRequest = 10)

If we use a java client and commit an offset then the consumer group shows
up in the response from ConsumerMetadataRequest. However I cant figure out
how to create a new one using the Kafka API.

Also, my __consumer_offsets topic shows up with a replication factor of 1.
Is that changeable?

thanks,
svante

Re: How do I create a consumer group

Posted by svante karlsson <sa...@csi.se>.
>Yes - see the offsets.topic.num.partitions and
>offsets.topic.replication.factor broker configs.

Joel, that exactly what I was looking for. I'll look into that and the
source for OffsetsMessageFormatter later today!

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.
> However it turns out to be difficult to know the existing consumer group
> strings. Is the message format in __consumer_offsets "public"/stable in any
> way or is there a better way of listing the existing group names?

Yes it is "stable" but not described in the user documentation since
it is an internal implementation detail. You can take a look at the
OffsetManager code and specifically the OffsetsMessageFormatter class.

https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/core/src/main/scala/kafka/server/OffsetManager.scala

Joel

Posted by svante karlsson <sa...@csi.se>.
What's your use case for knowing all consumer groups? For admin?

Yes, I need to monitor producer and consumer lags from several
interconnected kafka sites.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.

Posted by svante karlsson <sa...@csi.se>.
If I understand KAFKA-1476 it is only a command line tool that gives access
by using ZKUtils not an API to Kafka. We're looking for a Kafka API so I
guess that this functionality is missing.

thanks for the pointer

Svante Karlsson

Posted by Jiangjie Qin <jq...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.

Posted by svante karlsson <sa...@csi.se>.