Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2004/09/29 13:34:08 UTC

[VOTE] Transfer Framework/LogKit to Excalibur

Hello all.

Leo Sutic (amongst many others) have proposed [1] to transfer code and
support of LogKit and Avalon Framework (4.x) to Excalibur.  This
involves movement of the code, website (redirects) and notification to
users.  Please cast your votes on this matter.  The Excalibur PMC is
also conducting a similar vote.

jaaron

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=109631575006969&w=2

Re: [VOTE] Transfer Framework/LogKit to Excalibur

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Leo Sutic (amongst many others) have proposed [1] to transfer code and
> support of LogKit and Avalon Framework (4.x) to Excalibur.  This
> involves movement of the code, website (redirects) and notification to
> users.  Please cast your votes on this matter.  The Excalibur PMC is
> also conducting a similar vote.

+1

jaaron

Re: [VOTE] Transfer Framework/LogKit to Excalibur

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Sep 29, 2004, at 7:34 AM, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Leo Sutic (amongst many others) have proposed [1] to transfer code and
> support of LogKit and Avalon Framework (4.x) to Excalibur.  This
> involves movement of the code, website (redirects) and notification to
> users.  Please cast your votes on this matter.  The Excalibur PMC is
> also conducting a similar vote.

I am abstaining from a formal vote until we have a clear decision on
what will happen with the remainder of the Avalon codebase.
-pete

Re: [VOTE] Transfer Framework/LogKit to Excalibur

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com>.
+1

I'll be able to perform the move some time this weekend.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> writes:

>As with Peter Royal, I want to see the rest of the codebase addressed.  I
>believe that subsequent to your calling of the vote, we have an agreement to
>move all non-Merlin code to Excalibur.  For that, I am +1.

I admit that I'm a silent lurker here and I have no real position on
the whole discussion but I have a small question about this code move:

- If the Framework and non-Merlin code moves to Excalibur

and

- Merlin either moves into Incubation (unlikely given the tension showing
  here) or off-ASF (which IMHO will happen at some point)

==> What is left in Avalon after this? Is it just an empty hull that will be
    disbanded?

Or will stuff like Framework moved back to Avalon, once one of the
clashing groups have left? If yes, what is the point in moving stuff
to Excalibur?

I always thought of Avalon being a fundamental building block of other
projects. Having the foundations being out of the hands of any project
building on it (being it Excalibur _or_ Merlin) would IMHO help the
stability of the whole Avalon thing.

	Regards
		Henning

                                    Open Source Software Development"

RE: [VOTE] Transfer Framework/LogKit to Excalibur

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
As with Peter Royal, I want to see the rest of the codebase addressed.  I
believe that subsequent to your calling of the vote, we have an agreement to
move all non-Merlin code to Excalibur.  For that, I am +1.

	--- Noel