Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/10 15:16:09 UTC

Does (or will?) HttpClient handle compressed content ?

I've searched the documentation and source, and the only references to
zip / compression seem to be in the content-type lists. [Also searched
Bugzilla]

Just double-checking:

It seems that HttpClient does not automatically handle compressed responses.
Is this the case, or have I missed something?

Asuming no, are there any plans to include decompression in the future?

Re: Does (or will?) HttpClient handle compressed content ?

Posted by Thom Hehl <th...@nowhereatall.com>.
FWIW, I agree with you, Oleg.

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 14:16 +0000, sebb wrote:
>

>>I've searched the documentation and source, and the only references to
>>zip / compression seem to be in the content-type lists. [Also searched
>>Bugzilla]
>>
>>Just double-checking:
>>
>>It seems that HttpClient does not automatically handle compressed responses.
>>Is this the case, or have I missed something?
>>

>This is indeed the case.
>

>>Asuming no, are there any plans to include decompression in the future?
>>

>No. There are no such plans. HttpClient should not have any content
>processing code. Compression / decompression logic can be easily built
>on top of HttpClient. Anything that has to do with the content
>processing does not belong to a generic HTTP library
>
>Oleg

Thom Hehl
Heavyweight Software for Heavyweight Needs
www.heavyweightsoftware.com
--
"In every revolution, there is one man with a vision."--Jerome Bixby

Re: Does (or will?) HttpClient handle compressed content ?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.