Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Man-Chi Leung <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/31 04:38:07 UTC

[m2] anyone is doing m2 with cruisecontrol?

in my case, I tried to download continuum on my MacOSX and Solaris.
very sadly, Continuum did not even start it up, without any error
message!!!

so, I think I have only one choice , thinking to integrate m2 with
cruise control now

anyone has a success story?

btw, what is the different between cruise control and Continuum in
terms of features?

Regards,
manchi

Re: [m2] anyone is doing m2 with cruisecontrol?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

> so, I think I have only one choice , thinking to integrate m2 with
> cruise control now

For our project, we gave up on continuum.   It didn't fit our needs very
well at all.  Thus, we're back to cruisecontrol.   What we did is create
a simple ant build.xml file to call maven.

<project name="project">
    <target name="cruisecontrol.build">
        <mkdir dir="target"/>
        <exec executable="mvn" dir="${basedir}" failonerror="true"
output="target/build.out" logError="true">
            <arg line="clean"/>
        </exec>
        <mkdir dir="target"/>
        <exec executable="mvn" dir="${basedir}" failonerror="true"
output="target/build.out" logError="true">
            <arg line="install"/>
        </exec>
    </target>
</project>

Seems to work quite well.   In the cruisecontrol config file, I have it
merge all the surefire-reports dirs into the log and use the artifacts
publisher to copy the build.out file generated above and a bunch of other
things to the log dir.   It works quite well and provides much better
reporting for what we need.

> btw, what is the different between cruise control and Continuum in
> terms of features?

There are three major things that cruisecontrol does that we rely on:
1) Reporting - we want the test reports available directly from
cruisecontrol.  If something fails, it's easy to see what failed.   Also,
since cruisecontrol reporting is XSL driven, we've added other XML files
into the the merged log and added more stuff to the xsl scripts to report
other things.

2) Split servlet/builds - with continuum, the actual build and the build
servlet are on the same machine/same process.  This doesn't suit our
needs.   We have one "uber reporting machine" that contains the build
reporting for all the builds in the company, no matter what machine they
are building on.   Developers don't need to know where the builds are,
just where the reporting is.   Cruisecontrol supports this very well.

3) Email results - I couldn't get continuum to reliably send email, even
on every successful build.  We have a rule about waiting until the
cruisecontrol "pass" notice before you leave your desk after a merge.
Continuum didn't seem to ever send the mail.   Not sure why.   I tried
the IRC notifier, but it didn't seem to work with either of our two IRC
servers.   We never saw anything in the IRC channels.  I haven't had a
chance to try and figure out why.

Enjoy!
--
J. Daniel Kulp