Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Derek Westfall <dw...@TradelineInc.com> on 2005/07/28 00:42:37 UTC

Regex for legal user search input

Is there a way to allow users to use + and - and special operators in
free-text searches, but also allow them to search for a last name like
Smith-Jones? (which I'd have to escape?)

Is there a regular expression to determine/fix this kind of user input
so it is queryparser-legal?

Ie they can't just type * or + in the search box.

How are y'all handling this kind of thing?

Derek

Re: Regex for legal user search input

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
What version of Lucene are you using?   There was a change that
helped with that situation such that interior +/- was not considered
an operator.   That changed is in the 1.4 versions - might you be
running a  previous version of Lucene?

     Erik