Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by John Barstow <Jo...@gfsg.co.nz> on 2002/10/31 21:46:53 UTC

Resumable updates?

So, lately I've been doing lots of the following:

$ rmdir /s /q Subdir
$ svn up
A Subdir
A Subdir/foo

Basically, I get my  a subdirectory of working copy in some weird state and
need to get a clean directory from the repository.
The problem is that we have some subdirectories with hundreds-to-thousands
of files, and sometimes the update will be interrupted in various ways.

What is frustrating is that the interrupted update leaves the working copy
in a bad state - the next svn update returns with an error about revision 0
of the Subdir, and svn cleanup does not correct the situation.
Ultimately, I usually end up recreating the working copy from scratch (since
checkouts seem to be more robust than updates).  This leads to lots of
downtime.

So the question is:
 - Can update be more robust about interruptions; maybe do some
checkpointing or logging?
 - If not, can cleanup at least detect and correct the problem so that I can
run svn up without being forced to re-remove the directory?
 - Is there an alternative that I'm not aware of?

John C Barstow

Re: Resumable updates?

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.
John Barstow wrote:
> So the question is:

>  - Can update be more robust about interruptions; maybe do some
> checkpointing or logging?

>  - If not, can cleanup at least detect and correct the problem so
> that I can run svn up without being forced to re-remove the
> directory?

>  - Is there an alternative that I'm not aware of?

Well - what you are describing are bugs. No update should ever leave
the working copy in a bad state - that's one reason why working copies
try to be journaling and write logs.

There is one known issue that interrupting a checkout is not
resumable. And there might be some other issues in the issue database
about updates already - but anything that isn't already there needs to
get in there.

If you can, please try to make up reproduction recipes and bug reports
of the invidual problems, so they can be fixed or filed to the issue
database to be fixed later.

-- Naked