Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Elisha, Moshe (Nokia - IL/Kfar Sava)" <mo...@nokia.com> on 2022/06/16 07:24:24 UTC

Flink Kubernetes Operator with K8S + Istio + mTLS - port definitions

Hello,

We are launching Flink deployments using the Flink Kubernetes Operator<https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-kubernetes-operator-docs-stable/> on a Kubernetes cluster with Istio and mTLS enabled.

We found that the TaskManager is unable to communicate with the JobManager on the jobmanager-rpc port:

2022-06-15 15:25:40,508 WARN  akka.remote.ReliableDeliverySupervisor                       [] - Association with remote system [akka.tcp://flink@amf-events-to-inference-and-central.nwdaf-edge:6123] has failed, address is now gated for [50] ms. Reason: [Association failed with [akka.tcp://flink@amf-events-to-inference-and-central.nwdaf-edge:6123]] Caused by: [The remote system explicitly disassociated (reason unknown).]

The reason for the issue is that the JobManager service port definitions are not following the Istio guidelines https://istio.io/latest/docs/ops/configuration/traffic-management/protocol-selection/ (see example below).

We believe a change to the default port definitions is needed but for now, is there an immediate action we can take to work around the issue? Perhaps overriding the default port definitions somehow?

Thanks.

flink-kubernetes-operator 1.0.0
Flink 1.14-java11
Kubernetes v1.19.5
Istio 1.7.6

# k get service inference-results-to-analytics-engine -o yaml
apiVersion: v1
kind: Service
metadata:
  labels:
    app: inference-results-to-analytics-engine
    type: flink-native-kubernetes
  name: inference-results-to-analytics-engine
spec:
  clusterIP: None
  ports:
  - name: jobmanager-rpc # should start with “tcp-“ or add "appProtocol" property
    port: 6123
    protocol: TCP
    targetPort: 6123
  - name: blobserver # should start with "tcp-" or add "appProtocol" property
    port: 6124
    protocol: TCP
    targetPort: 6124
  selector:
    app: inference-results-to-analytics-engine
    component: jobmanager
    type: flink-native-kubernetes
  sessionAffinity: None
  type: ClusterIP
status:
  loadBalancer: {}

Re: Flink Kubernetes Operator with K8S + Istio + mTLS - port definitions

Posted by "Elisha, Moshe (Nokia - IL/Kfar Sava)" <mo...@nokia.com>.
Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. The suggestion “to allow Akka cluster communication to bypass the Istio sidecar proxy” helped and we were able to deploy.

I understand and agree with the rational to “follow a standard as Flink and avoid implementing guidelines from different vendors/providers”.
That said, it was very hard to work around the issue and forced us to skip Istio proxy which is not ideal.

We would like you to consider changing the default port definitions or allow to override.
We have created a Jira improvement to continue the discussion in a formal way - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-28171

Thanks a lot.

From: Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>
Date: Monday, 20 June 2022 at 15:13
To: Nathan Fisher <nf...@junctionbox.ca>
Cc: Őrhidi Mátyás <ma...@gmail.com>, Elisha, Moshe (Nokia - IL/Kfar Sava) <mo...@nokia.com>, Sigalit Eliazov <e....@gmail.com>, Yang Wang <da...@gmail.com>, user@flink.apache.org <us...@flink.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Flink Kubernetes Operator with K8S + Istio + mTLS - port definitions
The Istio guideline implies that this is a guidance, not a standard. Is that correct? Is there a standard (already)? I think we should follow a standard as Flink and avoid implementing guidelines from different vendors/providers.
Op ma 20 jun. 2022 om 13:36 schreef Nathan Fisher <nf...@junctionbox.ca>>:
Would it make sense to add the annotations to the task manager and job manager? In a non-istio environment it’d be a noop.

mTLS as a requirement is more complicated but having some docs around using cert-manager might be enough depending on the orgs requirement.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 06:18, Őrhidi Mátyás <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
It seems Istio must be configured to allow Akka cluster communication to bypass the Istio sidecar proxy:
https://doc.akka.io/docs/akka-management/current/bootstrap/istio.html

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 11:30 AM Sigalit Eliazov <e....@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi,
we have enabled HA as suggested, the task manager tries to reach the job manager via pod id as expected but
the task manager is unable to connect to the job manager:

2022-06-19 22:14:45,101 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.taskexecutor.TaskExecutor           [] - Connecting to ResourceManager akka.tcp://flink@192.168.3.144:6123/user/rpc/resourcemanager_0(8a98fdb734615089485c685afb0f402d)<http://flink@192.168.3.144:6123/user/rpc/resourcemanager_0(8a98fdb734615089485c685afb0f402d)>.

2022-06-19 22:14:45,242 WARN  akka.remote.transport.netty.NettyTransport                   [] - Remote connection to [/192.168.3.144:6123<http://192.168.3.144:6123>] failed with java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer

2022-06-19 22:14:45,249 WARN  akka.remote.ReliableDeliverySupervisor                       [] - Association with remote system [akka.tcp://flink@192.168.3.144:6123<http://flink@192.168.3.144:6123>] has failed, address is now gated for [50] ms. Reason: [Association failed with [akka.tcp://flink@192.168.3.144:6123<http://flink@192.168.3.144:6123>]] Caused by: [The remote system explicitly disassociated (reason unknown).]

2022-06-19 22:14:45,255 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.taskexecutor.TaskExecutor           [] - Could not resolve ResourceManager address akka.tcp://flink@192.168.3.144:6123/user/rpc/resourcemanager_0<http://flink@192.168.3.144:6123/user/rpc/resourcemanager_0>, retrying in 10000 ms: Could not connect to rpc endpoint under address akka.tcp://flink@192.168.3.144:6123/user/rpc/resourcemanager_0<http://flink@192.168.3.144:6123/user/rpc/resourcemanager_0>.

2022-06-

Are there any additional definitions required for that?

thanks

Sigalit

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 2:28 PM Yang Wang <da...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Could you please have a try with high availability enabled[1]?

If HA enabled, the internal jobmanager rpc service will not be created. Instead, the TaskManager retrieves the JobManager address via HA services and connects to it via pod ip.

[1]. https://github.com/apache/flink-kubernetes-operator/blob/main/examples/basic-checkpoint-ha.yaml

Best,
Yang

Elisha, Moshe (Nokia - IL/Kfar Sava) <mo...@nokia.com>> 于2022年6月16日周四 15:24写道: