Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Sonam Chauhan <so...@ce.com.au> on 2004/01/12 06:18:52 UTC

Suggestion for enhancing 'HTTP Request' sampler

The normal HTTP sampler seems incapable of posting XML documents using the
process below (it falls down in point #2):
  1. The HTTP content-type is set to "text/xml".
  2. The HTTP request body contains the document itself
     (no POST parameters are used)
However, the 'SOAP/XML-RPC Request' sampler seems to handle this process
well.

The normal HTTP sampler can be made more generic by allowing it to POST the
contents of a file or a textbox *without* POST parameters. In this case,
there would be no need of the 'SOAP/XML-RPC Request' sampler - is this
correct?

Also, the above would make possible certain complex HTTP requests that
currently are impossible with JMeter. For e.g.: CommerceOne marketsite
envelopes that have multiple content-parts with no POST parameters.

With regards,
Sonam Chauhan
--
Corporate Express Australia Ltd.
Phone: +61-2-9335-0725, Fax: 9335-0753, Email: sonamc@ce.com.au

Re: Suggestion for enhancing 'HTTP Request' sampler

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.
I would have to agree with Jordi.

a typical http request is not the same thing as a RPC
call. SOAP/xml-rpc gets very complicated very quickly.
We already have the soap/xml-rpc and webservice
sampler.

The webservice sampler is being refined and improved,
but it is fundamentally a different approach than
soap/xml-rpc.

this is primarily the result of differences in java
versus .NET webservices. .NET webservices prefers
document oriented messaging, whereas java webservices
prefers xml-rpc.

I think it is worth while to improve either
soap/xml-rpc or webservices sampler. what kind of
improvement were you thinking of specifically sonam?

peter lin

Posted by Jordi Salvat i Alabart <js...@atg.com>.